News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

More Canadian Rolling Stock??

Started by IHC650, December 14, 2011, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHC650

Dear  Mr. Bachmann

I was wondering if there are any plans for more Canadian National or Canadian Pacific rollling stock mainly boxcars and flatdecks

IHC650

rogertra

Quote from: IHC650 on December 14, 2011, 08:52:30 PM
Dear  Mr. Bachmann

I was wondering if there are any plans for more Canadian National or Canadian Pacific rollling stock mainly boxcars and flatdecks

IHC650

Are you asking for real Canadian prototypes or just American models painted and lettered for CN and CP?  There is a difference.

For example, an American GP9 painted and lettered for the CPR or CNR is NOT an accurate model as there are differences between Canadian and American diesels.  Just as there are differences between American and Canadian freight cars.  Paint and lettering do not an accurate model make.

jettrainfan

I agree rodgertra, a good example is if bachmann made ALL SD40-2s. (http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2123603) Its a railroad company in Brazil, and the main difference is the horns are closer to the hood than the roof like most American locos, some being ex. Union Pacific but the horns were still modified. Its a good idea to do your homework if your aiming at being prototypical. If bachmann were to make an ALL SD40-2, they'd probably have the horn on the top, because its not really what customers are aiming for. But no worries, you can always remodel it for it to be prototypical :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jward

taking the sd40-2 theme a bit farther, canadian pacific bought a sizeable number of sd40-2s very late in their production run. as such they had a completely different air duct housing, similar to an sd50, which required  a step up and over in the walkway. very few sd40-2s in the us had this feature, because most us roads were buying sd50s or ge  power at this time.

for the most part, canadian roads bought specific types later than did us roads, took better care of them, and ran them longer.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

While some of us are willing to spend the time and/or money to have our rolling stock resemble the prototype as closely as possible, there are others who see US equipment painted in Canadian colours as a big step toward building a Canadian railway.  It all depends on our priorities.  No one has ever told me that they have both the time and the money to build the model railroad of their dreams.  But many have told me how much they enjoy the railroad they have or are building.  So if we can enjoy US rolling stock painted in Canadian colours and it brings us closer to our dream, I say go for it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Limey

Being a person north of the U.S. Border I can empathize with IHC650. I too am modeling the C.N. and would like more rollingstock. However not to put to fine a point on it, I think you will find that C.N. is now owned by more U.S. shareholders than Canadian. The current CEO is an American. If you look at the history of C.N. you will find that it has acquired a number of U.S. railroads, ( DW & P,  WC, ICG, CV, ) just to name a few. Many of these U.S. railroads have their rolling stock running all over the C.N. trackage. So unless you are modelling the early steam era, it is quite O.K. to run any of these railroads equipment on C.N. tracks.
   I can't comment on C.P. but I would imagine they too have a lot of U.S. subs.
Last I checked C.N. was the 5th. largest railroad in North America. having trackage right as far south as Mexico and as far north as Churchill, Manitoba.
    The last railroad acquired by C.N. was another Canadian railroad, that being B.C. Rail, formerly Pacific Great Eastern.

Regards, Limey.

IHC650

I really don't care weather it is originale or American conversions I would just like to see more Canadian rolling stock there many varieties of hoppered grain cars but a very slim choice of boxcars and flatdecks.

Woody Elmore

Growing up in Manhattan and living close to a big NYC yard I used to see CN boxcars with the maple leaf herald. These cars were interesting because some had yellow doors and some had green doors (I believe the yellow doors meant newsprint only snd have no idea what went into the green door cars). I also remember the CP cars with the compass and the "CP spans the world" slogano on the side.

When I got into HO I had to have some of these cars and over the years had amassed quite a few cars representing Canadian rolling stock - I even had a brass "van."

I think that there are modellers who buy rolling stock for the way it looks and from what I've seen the Canadian railways have some interesting rolling stock.

What makes this hobby interesting is that there is such a wide diversity of rolling stock and the manufacturers need to have interesting things to attract young buyers.

Last freight train I saw (in Rockland County, NY) had many non descript boxcars with reporting marks so small and obliterated with dust and graffiti they couldn't be read. I doubt that models of those cars would appeal to anyone.

So come on Bachmann - bring out some CP and CN stuff.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: IHC650 on December 15, 2011, 09:17:33 PM
I really don't care weather it is originale or American conversions I would just like to see more Canadian rolling stock there many varieties of hoppered grain cars but a very slim choice of boxcars and flatdecks.

Some people are just in such a hurry to post, they do not read the posting.

Rolling stock - does not include locomotives.
I agree that there is not much available from Bachmann in Canadian roadnames.
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

Try Googling define rolling stock and I think you will find that it includes locomotives as well as cars, at least in North America.  By some U.K. definitions, it includes only freight wagons, in other definitions it includes passenger cars as well, and by the most modern definitions, also includes locomotives.

As a Canadian of British parents, I grew up with the narrowest British definition of rolling stock.  But over the last decade or so have tended to use the North American/modern British definition.

Bottom line, I feel we should be willing to use the broadest definition, especially on a USA discussion board, and add limiters if we wish to restrict the definition.  How hard is it to say "rolling stock." "non-powered rolling stock," or "freight cars" when we wish to be specific?

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Woody Elmore

I've been fiddling with trains for many years and I, as well as friends, always considered locomotives to be separate from rolling stock. I think the Brits win on this one.

Pacific Northern

As a Canadian, whose family for five generations was heavily involved in Railroading, rolling stock did not include locomotives.
Pacific Northern