News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I need ideas for my first train layout

Started by kretch53, November 25, 2011, 09:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kretch53

I am new to model railroading and need ideas for my first layout.  What things should I consider?  How much room do I need?  Where are there good sources of ideas for a beginner?

jettrainfan

a good starting question is, do you want to do industrial, a yard, a main line, a branch line... etc. Or a combination of a few of them. Also, whats your maximum amount of space you can have for a layout? Freelanced or prototypical? These are good questions to answer to get a better idea what you want to work with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Doneldon

kretch-

Ask your questions once only. You won't get more or better replies with multiple posts.

-- D

TobyTheTram16

kahunnaq

First you need to ask yourself, how much room am I being allotted by my wife/mother, Then ask how much can I spend every week till my layout is done (they are never done, you always want to add or improve something). Am I doing DC or DCC, there is more up front costs to DCC, but you can convert from DC later on. What type of layout strikes your fancy, industrial switching, running the high ball on the main line or country short lines. And lastly what era do you like to set your model RR in? Your journey is just beginning so do some research take your time & mostly have fun.

Wayne

Ethanville

I am 95% completed on my first layout and if you send me your Email address I'll share details and a overall picture.
It's a modified layout from a MR book and has been changed weekly by my 6 year old grandson since we started 3 years ago. It's an HO 4x8 setup and by using second hand buildings and trains it's cost has been just about $1300.00. It has a river and a self reversing,[ Bachman] trolley.
mkurz21@verizon.net