News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

S-4 sound, DC or DCC?

Started by Nathan Jahreis, December 26, 2011, 03:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Jahreis

Hello all, I don't know if this has already been asked but are the Sound value S-4's able to be powered by DC (Dual Mode) or are they exclusively DCC.  I am not that familiar with the differences between DCC sound and DC sound decoders.  I have a blue line with sound and also a Loco with a tsunami, and the sound runs fine on my DC layout.   I really like the s4 style and I like sound however I don't want to get the sound if its not going to work on my layout.  Thanks Nathan.
Listen birds - These signs cost - Money - So roost a while - But don't get funny - Burma-Shave

richg

Bachmann locos are dual mode which by definition means, DC or DCC. Limited sounds when run on DC layout.

RIch

Nathan Jahreis

Ok thanks.  :D So I am guessing the sound is limited to engine revs and random stuff like the air compressor, not user commands like horn and bell. ???
Listen birds - These signs cost - Money - So roost a while - But don't get funny - Burma-Shave

jonathan

I tend to run Sound locos on DC, on my home layout.  As you apply throttle certain sounds are activiated:  

1.  Motor or compressor.

2. Horn or whistle. Just before enough throttle is applied to make the loco move.

3. Bell sounds as loco starts to move.  Bell will stay on.

4. When loco is stopping, IF you move the throttle slow enough, the horn or whistle will sound to indicate stopping.

5. Idle sounds (motor or compressor) will continue until you turn the throttle down low enough to starve the sound decoder.

Regards,

Jonathan

Nathan Jahreis

Ok sweet ;D As I said, I have two loco's with sound, a Blueline and an Athearn Gen with a tsunami.  The tsunami runs with the characteristics Jonathan stated, but with the Blueline I have to use my DC analog master thingy to activate the horn and such.  Now I am convinced on getting the sound.  Thank you for your quick responses.:)