News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Weathering

Started by jstoppy, December 18, 2011, 06:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jstoppy

I need some tips on weathering my southern railway gondola and my norfolk western coal hopper.
I don't want to spend too much money on doing it. I can get you a picture if you need one.
Thanks!   ;)

rogertra

Look at the prototype and copy that.   DO NOT look at other people's models and copy them. That is modelling other people's models.  Use the prototype.

Hint.  There are many, many articles on weathering in past issues of magazines and on line, Google is your friend.  Do your own research and if you get stuck, then ask for help.

Do not forget, DO NOT look at other people's models and copy them, follow the prototype.

jstoppy

Thanks for your advice. Do you have any techniques on weathering you could share?

on30gn15

Quote from: jstoppy on December 18, 2011, 08:37:34 PM
Do you have any techniques on weathering you could share?

Googled weathering train models
Got "About 2,570,000 results (0.31 seconds)"

Are hits for text and on-line video both.
By guys and gals both.

Samples of the hits.
I didn't look at any - yet.

QuoteNMRA - Weathering Rolling Stock
www.nmra.org/beginner/weathering.html
Nov 25, 2007 – Weathering railroad rolling stock is a subtle way of adding a bit of realism to your model trains. When you are trackside, do you see any freight ...

Model Train Weathering by Big Al Mayo - Custom Monsterpieces by ...
www.custom-monster-pieces.com/
Oct 30, 2011 – This is the official website of Big Al Mayo and your source for custom weathered model train locomotives, cars and structures.

Links - The Art of Making Dirty - Model Railway Weathering
www.the-art-of-making-dirty.co.uk/5.html
Andy Williams' railway photography. http://web.ukonline.co.uk/53amodels/main.htm .......... many galleries are arranged by year. Model railways - manufacturers ...

Weathering model trains - by Sandra Fikes - Helium
http://www.helium.com/items/937362-weathering-model-trains › ... › Model Building & Radio Control
Mar 19, 2008 – Even pristine layouts can benefit from properly applied weathering, but there are many who say they can not bring themselves to weather the ...

Quoting Sandra,
QuoteCAN I REALLY DO THAT?

If you are looking at pictures of a realistic model train layout and wondering if you could possibly do that, the answer is "Yes, you can." Many lack the confidence to just jump in and try something, but I have always believed that if someone else has the skills to do something, then I have it within me to learn those skills as well - and so do you.

You are just as capable as anyone else, you just might not be as practiced as the person who's skill you admire. They were once no more skilled than you are, few of us are born with an innate skill at weathering scale trains - I know I was not. The first step is to get some inexpensive train cars that you can practice on. Then practice, practice, practice.

Note that last,
QuoteThe first step is to get some inexpensive train cars that you can practice on. Then practice, practice, practice.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

jstoppy

Thanks for all the websites for weathering! I just tried something I made up. I tried using flour on my car. It works pretty well. :)

rogertra

Quote from: jstoppy on December 19, 2011, 04:52:29 PM
Thanks for all the websites for weathering! I just tried something I made up. I tried using flour on my car. It works pretty well. :)

Whatever you do, don't bake it or your weathering may cake onto the car. 

jstoppy

Haha! :) Maybe it would taste good! ???

FFJOHNL312

Quote from: rogertra on December 19, 2011, 05:51:23 PM
Quote from: jstoppy on December 19, 2011, 04:52:29 PM

Whatever you do, don't bake it or your weathering may cake onto the car. 

Oh, bad pun, Roger......... :o :o :o
DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!

CNE Runner

The best advice I can give on the subject of weathering is: 1) begin a program of observing nature. As you drive through an area observe how the structures have weathered in that set of conditions (BTW: structures/rolling stock was much 'sootier' during the age of steam - compared with those same structures in our cleaner environment), and 2) use a very, very light hand. I suggest lightly weathering an object and then setting it aside (or placing it on the layout to see what effect the layout's environment has on the weathering). The most common error, in weathering, is too much...you can always add more (or another layer).

Weathering powders (or artist's chalks) are a good medium to start with. They can be applied in layers...and removed if you don't like the results. Weathering stains should also become part of your repertoire; but are harder to remove (or impossible if put on wood). Again, experiment and keep in mind less is better.

Good luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"