News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1905 New York Central Loco not smoking

Started by nicewater, December 27, 2011, 06:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicewater

I bought the 1905 New York Central Loco with smoke and light a few days ago.  Everything works fine but the smoke however does not.  In order for the loco to smoke, the speed needs to be on full.  I have read through the instructions and they say to run it for a few hours which i have been doing but still no change.  Please help!!!!

Nathan Jahreis

Smoking is not good for your health ;D sorry for that.  I am not so good with smoke units (don't have any).  A friend of mine has one, but his started smoking after it was on full throttle for about 5 minute's.  Did you say it worked at full throttle?   If so, my guess is the smoke unit works at a higher voltage.  If your good with electronics put a resistor to one terminal of the motor.  This will slow the motor thus your loco isn't flying down the rails but you get enough smoke.  If you are not familiar with electronics you might be better off not messing with its innards.  Better with a smokeless engine than no engine at all.   If I am wrong, anyone please correct me!, I hate to give out bad info.  Hope this helps, Nathan.
Listen birds - These signs cost - Money - So roost a while - But don't get funny - Burma-Shave

Doneldon

nice-

Your smoke unit could be burned out if you operated it without smoke fluid. If you didn't do that you should probably contact Bachmann service for help; your loco may have been defective. Bachmann has an excellent warranty but only if your loco was purchased new fom an authorized dealer. However, they will repair or replace any loco if you send it in with $25.

Frankly, your loco may be doing you a favor. Smoke fluid is basically mineral oil which boils off in the smoker and then condenses all over your locomotive, track and scenery. Since the so-called smoke isn't that great in the first place, unless you run your locos at breakneck speeds, many model rails don't see it as worth the trouble.
                                                                                          -- D

Jim Banner

It is normal for smoking locomotives to produce smoke only at high speed.  If the manufacturer used a smoke generator that got hot enough to produce smoke at more reasonable speeds, they would be forever replacing melted plastic bodies because owners were over heating their smoke generators by running at full speed.  The solution, if you really want smoke, is to have a DCC locomotive equipped with a smoke generator.  Then it is running at full heat even if the locomotive is stopped.  While that solves the smoke production problem, it does not keep the smoke from depositing oil on your track, your locomotive, and the insides of your lungs.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.