News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann HO ALCO S4 Sound Value Equipped

Started by Lotek, January 06, 2012, 05:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotek

Hello, I just received this locomotive and I have a question about sound. When I turn on the power to my DCC layout the S4 loco engine sound automatically turns on. I have many locomotives on the track but this is the only one that sound comes on without me turning it on. Is there a way to program the locomotive so that the sound does not come on every time I cycle the power to the track?

Thanks

Lotek :)

Lotek

Hello Jerry, Thank you for the info. I tried changing the CV# 113 from 0 to 5 but it does not seem to change anything. I'm using a MRC prodigy wireless DCC system.

Lotek

railtwister

Interesting question. I suppose you could use F8 to mute the sound, but I'm not sure it was intended for that. I have other sound units that act the same, but they are mostly steam. The few units I have depicting internal combustion engines do have a user activated start sequence though.

Bill in FL

Lotek

I just got off the phone with Tech Support. They say there is no way to set the sound to off when powered.

Lotek

ebtbob

Then,  do as was suggested.   Before turning off your system,  hit function 8 on your throttle to turn the sound off(mute).   That way,  the next time you turn on your system,  your engine will be silent.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

railtwister

EBTBob,

Actually, even though this probably wasn't the reason for having the mute function, the more I think about it, it's probably better to not have the automatic start-up sound, because if the engine encounters dirty track, you won't have to go through the engine start-up sequence once the power is restored, you can just go on your way and pretend nothing happened! Still, it would be nice to be able to go through the startup-shutdown sequence if you wanted to. I guess we shouldn't complain too much, because in spite of my great disappointment at this loco not having the automatic brake squeal, the truth is, I really think it's a bargain to be able to buy a loco for this price that has not only onboard DCC, but factory installed sound as well.

Bill in FL

WESTLANDER

Yes,

Having purchased the S4, ,FA2 and 2-6-0 myself, I really think that there is nothing to complain about at all.

Hell, for under 100USD I got a sound equipped dcc loco that runs beautifully! The FA2 took 10 mintues to go around a figure of "8" 6 x 4 layout at muy friends place yesterday and didnt stall once even on the gradients.  You can see them run here:

http://youtu.be/GDL3CQA5a2Y

I support and encourage Bachmann to continue with this line as it represents very good value for money, at a time when the price of locos at the top end kepps getting dearer.

ebtbob

I am in total agreement as to the value of this line of sound/dcc equipped engines from Bachmann.   I live in the Philadelphia area,  and many of the well know modelers are VERY excited about these engines.   I have the S4,  and though is more gear noise than I would like,  that little shifter is seeing much action on the Philadelphia and Reading Shortline.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org