News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 2-6-0

Started by Barry Karlberg, December 28, 2011, 02:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Karlberg

My wife gave me a nice little Christmas gift in the form of a new (as in new model) Bachmann, 2-6-0, with DCC/Sound, a short little tender (about 20-25 foot), operating headlight and tender backup light/ front /rear couplers all with a nice detailed engine for an on-line price of a little over $100. The locomotive runs smoothly in both DC and DCC modes and it has one of the best whistles I ever heard, along with a good bell, chuff, and brake application/release sounds. It has a two position drawbar so the tender can be "hooked up" nice and close to the cab on curves 22" and above and because it's short (7 1/2 -8 inches) will fit on even a short turntable and go around tight wye curves. This engine will join my excursion roster along side the Bachmann IC, 2-8-0 and look great handling a pair of 60 foot coaches and caboose on the short line.
I believe Bachmann has scored a hit with this little locomotive which should offer great kit-bashing possibilities for those more prorotypically minded.

Barry

Jim Banner

Quote from: florynow on December 29, 2011, 05:42:38 PM
I'm going to get one.  But that miniscule headlight has got to go.  Looks like an N scale headlight on an HO engine. 

PF

I couldn't see that the headlight was under size so I superimposed a photo of the model on top of a photo of a real 2-6-0.

It seems the size is right on.  However, comparing the H0 2-6-0 to an 0n30 2-6-0 (a much smaller locomotive in real life,) then the headlight looks small.  But then again, putting an H0 headlight on an 0-scale locomotive, it really should look small.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

on30gn15

I dunno, Alco 2-6-0 headlight size may not be overly far off base after all.
http://hawkinsrails.net/shortlines/bvs/bvs.htm

Shift that h/l to smokebox top and it'll look pretty small too.
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mogul/cnr81.jpg
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Barry Karlberg

I agree with the Katy man. The headlight looks good to me as a railroader of 45 years and still working.
I also like the feature of being able to "dim" both front and rear lites as required for operations. This is a nice nice little loco with a lot of positives and few if any negatives.
I got mine on line at HogTrainz.com and it looks like they they still have some available if anyone is interested. These are good folks to deal with.

Barry

rrbob

I'm a fan of big headlights too.  The  model is based on the GB&W 2-6-0 which was built in 1924.  The plan is in the MR Cyclopedia volumn 1, page 46.   If  you check  2-6-0's on the internet, there are pictures of them with small headlights.
I don't know yet how to take the engine apart but might just try fitting a larger headlight over the small one.

Mine runs great, have to get a better DCC system.  I just picked up a used Bachmann EZ Command and all the sound it has besides the chuff is the bell, two whistles and a steam blow down. Wanted the brake squirel and the coupler clank.

Some of the cast on  piping might have to go, if someone can figure out how to take it apart.
My first sound loco and I will probably wear it out!
Bob D.

Jim Banner

Quote from: florynow on December 29, 2011, 10:06:56 PM
That's a Bachmann 0-6-0 model Jim, not the mogul. The 0-6-0 headlight is sized OK.
PF

Actually, it is a Bachmann Canadian National Mogul, product no. #6012.  Perhaps you would like to check it out at this link:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=504

Would this photo of another Bachmann 2-6-0 Mogul be more to your liking headlight wise?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

joegideon

Headlight-Schmeadlight... It's about time for a Mogul in HO!  This Alco has a lot of possibilities.  The freelancers
should be thrilled!  When did this  show up?  Bachmann seems to announce articulateds... I see headlines for the EM-1...
but they still haven't announced the newer of the 4-4-0s -and they've been around for quite a while.  I have learned of most of the smaller engines from watching eBay! 

But no matter-  Thanks to Bachmann for this nice addition.  I have a pair of rare N.H. 2-6-0s by NERS- $750.00 brass locos
that I no longer have to put weird pint jobs on...  And no one ever felt quite right running USRA 0-6-0s with pilot trucks.  This new Mogul is a great-looking(-and, apparently, sounding...) little engine!

rrbob

Amen!   I love mine!