News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New DCC user HELP!

Started by Conductor pops, December 31, 2011, 02:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conductor pops

Me and my 3 yr old grandaughter are exploring and discovering model railroading together. She has my old dc set on a 4x5 layout complete with non ho scale  buildings , lions chasing people and dinosaurs. lol ! ;D Me I have a new Bach DCC controlled set with two Santa Fe locos on a 4x8. I am expanding my layout to go 30 feet down the side of  my basement wall into another 4x8. My questions are:
Can i use my old dc ez track specifically the 3 foot sections? If not why i cant find 3 foot dcc rated sections?
Would i have to add more power to the 30 foot run and the other 4x8? If so do i use that 5 amp booster that i have seen on this site?
I plan on adding a steam loco with sound and smoke will this DCC controller do this?

jward

there is no such thing as dc or dcc track. it will work with both control systems. with dcc, you may want to add more feeder wires to the track, to prevent degradation of the dcc signal in the track. other than that you should be fine.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Conductor pops

Thanks for your response. I was looking at some used ez track for sale and wasn't sure ! Can you suggest any publications or web sites where i can get educated on DCC wiring like would the feeder wire t off my controller  or do i need that 5 amp box ?

jward

one of the best explanations of dcc i've seen is the big book of dcc published by digitrax. one of the worst is dcc made easy published by kalmbach.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Nathan

There are a number of good sites that talk about DCC in real world terms.

One of them is:
http://tonystrains.com/tonystips/dccprimer/index.htm

Jerrys HO

pops

This is one of my favorite DCC sites

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm#Reversing%20Loops

One of your original questions was can the controller do sounds. Yes but it is very limited on what sounds you can use as you only have f1 thru f10 to use.
When you purchase your new loco check the function listings and you will see what limited functions are available. This is satisfactory until you upgrade.

Jerry

Conductor pops

Hey guys thanks for all the replies . Its good to know i have fellow enthusiast to keep me on track ! ;D This info will keep me busy for some time !
pops

Jim Banner

Quote from: Jerrys HO on December 31, 2011, 03:20:23 PM
... it is very limited on what sounds you can use as you only have f1 thru f10 to use ...

Jerry

I think you will find that trying to control even 10 sounds consistently and realistically will keep you too busy to enjoy your trains.  For this reason, Soundtraxx has included the possibility of automatic operation of many of the sounds.  In real life, steam locomotives had two man crews because one man working along could not handle all the chores.  In addition to shoveling coal, the fireman was expected to control the pump and/or injectors to keep the boiler topped up, clean the grate, blow down the boiler, operate the blower, and so forth.  So if you are being the engineer operating the engine, you have to worry only about the bell, the whistle, blowing down the cylinders, turning the lights (and dynamo) on and off, and a few sounds that cannot be automated such as filling the tender and the coupler clank.

Even if you include the lights and the mute control, you still do not have to have more than 8 functions.  Only two of the sounds need your constant attention - the whistle and the bell.  Coupler clank, filling the water tank, and blowing down the cylinders when you start up are needed only when you stop at a station or to do some switching.  Working the mute is a nice touch if you have tunnels.

Others may see sound operations differently.

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.