Peter Witt Streetcar doesn't work on Powermaster

Started by chrisprocyk, December 31, 2011, 11:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisprocyk

Works fine on a postwar ZW.  With the Powermaster the interior lights come on and the bell works sortof (not always and a weird pause).  But it will not go into forward.  I have cleared the Powermaster stall speed and verified with a voltmeter.

I have one Powermaster track rigged for Protosounds (added capacitance) but it doesn't work on that track either.

dkmoss

Interestingly, I had the same problem on the first Lionel CW-80 transformer I tried my streetcar on, but it would work on most of my other transformers.  I have found that Lionel's CW-80 transformer has many issues even with other things and is not as dependable as some other transformers.

chrisprocyk

I'm thinking my Powermasters are about that vintage (bought them used off Ebay) so their output circuitry may well be identical.  I sure hope there is a workaround as per Protosounds,  my ZW resides under the layout!

phillyreading

Use an MTH transformer or post war Lionel transformers, I use two MTH Z-1000's, and have no problems with any of my trains.

Don't use a CW-80, a.k.a. Can't Work 80, or desk weight.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

OK, are you refering to the PowerMaster as the brick transformer controller which is plugged up to a PowerHouse transformer in the Cab-1/TMCC system, or somthing else.  The Cab-1/PH/PM sets work well for me in conv.

chrisprocyk

Yes we are talking about the same thing.  Mine is wired to the post-war ZW per my initial post, not a Powerhouse.  I don't know if that matters or not, I am pretty sure it basically rebuilds the waveform itself for my setup, but maybe it works differently when lashed to a Powermaster.

Aloso, my Powermasters are the old 6-12867.  Maybe you are using the 6-24130?   

>Use an MTH transformer or...

Dude, seriously.  I have a 10yr old layout with the (4) transformers well buried underneath, it was built from scratch to be controlled with CAB-1's.  Not gonna change that for 1 streetcar that was an impulse buy.

DominicMazoch

Your setup should work for conv.  It does change the waveform to more of a square.  All of my W/WBB stuff works with the PH/PM combos., and V/PM combos. The first PM were built with the ZW in mind.