News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EM-1 sound module picture

Started by richg, January 04, 2012, 03:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

For those who do not look through the site, this is on the What's New page.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3924

I am seeing $70.00 t0 $75.00.

Rich

GN.2-6-8-0

has anyone bought and installed the new sound module yet,and if you have are you able to access the sound files for changing any of them?
I bought the engine changed the default 03 address to the cab number and on hearing we need to change back to the default address did that before installing the sound module but we're still unable to access the sound files.wish to change the whistle from the default C&S 801 to the B&O 3 chime.....sure wish B'mann had requested Soundtrax's hooter from 1218 instead.
we are using Decoder pro 3 withe the required PTB-100 booster.
Rocky Lives

jonathan

Here is a you.tube link with a Soundtraxx hooter whistle installed in a N&W J Class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSxPlQPt3cc

It is very, very close to what the EM-1 whistle should sound like.  If we are lucky, the ever-wise folks at Bachmann will issue a second run of the sound modules with the correct whistle.  I would happily purchase an additional sound unit (kaching) to get the right whistle.  It's the only thing missing from an otherwise gem of a model.  Right now they've hit a triple with two  RBI's.  A homerun would be the hooter whistle.

I have not installed a sound unit yet as mine are still on layaway.  I ate up all my train budget just getting the locos.  Hopefully I'll have sound before the Timonium train show in February.

I have read elsewhere that a couple of folks were able to access the B&O 3-chime.  It sound like a Q Class Mikado or Consolidation on steroids.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

I have seen some negative comments on the whistle in other forums. I am sure you know you are not the first. I wonder if the equalizer CV's could help fine tune it

Rich

GN.2-6-8-0

After figuring out how to acess the sound files my thought is while the 3 chime whistle's not correct for the EM-1 It's in my opinion the best sounding whistle of the 3 provided.
and while I have not yet fooled with the reverb setting's as yet they may enhance the whistle further....
Rocky Lives

richg

This may be more than most want to do. I agee, you should not have to do this.

One fellow in another forum discarded the sound module and the decoder PC board in the tender and wired in a Titan because he liked its articulated sound better. It has more than 30 whistles and horns to choose from, including two hooters.

Rich

smiway

I installed the EM1 sound unit. I'm kind of disappointed with the sound level. I'm using DC for now. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the volume?

Thanks,
Rich Smith

GN.2-6-8-0

If your running DC You'll need to find access to a DCC system that ables you to access the CVs and Sound settings, Decoder pro is what we use....its one of the best.
Try to locate either someone or a club that has this system and ask for their help adjusting the volume's.
Also keep in mind the 10 ft rule....If you can hear a sound locomotive 10 feet or further away from you its really to loud  ;D
Rocky Lives

jonathan

smiway.

I'm a little surprised.  My layout is DC, in a two-car garage.  I found the EM-1 sound quite loud.  Perception of volume is relative of course.  However, I'm wondering if you completely sinched down the tender shell after you put in the sound module.  Just something to consider.

Regards,

Jonathan

smiway

Thank you Great Northern 2-6-8-0 and Jonathan for your responses to my question. I have to admit that I have a bit of egg on my face. I tried running my EM-1 with a different DC power pack and everything was great. The sound was fine and the engine ran as smooth as could be.

Jonathan, I am curious about your layout in your garage. Do you live in a cold climate, and if so, how do you deal with the cold weather in the winter. I am considering a layout in my garage, but right now it is about 20 degrees with about 5 inches of snow on the ground.

Thanks again,
Rich Smith

jonathan

Rich,

I box up my trains from January through March each year.  This is when I work on scenery for the layout.  This is also train show season.  So I can still run trains on our club modular layout at the shows.

Additionally, I usually box up the trains around August, if we're having a particularly warm summer.

So far, the seasonal changes have not affected the layout itself; no warping or sagging that I've noticed.

However, the layout shares space with the cars, kids' outdoor toys, lawnmower,... etc.
I must constantly wipe down my tracks and run a vaccum over the layout at least bi-monthly.  It has become second nature to me, to have a rag and some cleaner in one hand, and the throttle in my other hand.  I clean wheels twice a year. 

While maintenance keeps me busy, the alternative in unthinkable (no layout at all).

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

jonathan

I take it you pick them up around that time because it is too cold in the garage? ???
or is it something to do with the cold affecting your loco's? :P
I live in Louisiana an we get super hot summers and up and down winter's. (seen snow twice in my life)

Jerry

jonathan

I'm a better-safe-than-sorry guy.  The winter months in the mid-atlantic states are usually on the mild side.  However, I feel better, having the trains warm and dry, in their boxes, while the weather becomes harsh at times.  We get a blizzard every once in a blue moon.  The temperature in the garage can drop below 50 degrees F.  Add the constant opening of the garage doors as cars come in an out.  It's better to have the trains packed for a few months, just in case.  Also, it forces me to work on scenery... NOT one of my favorite passtimes.  Forcing myself to make tunnel interiors this winter, and add some rock outcroppings.  I don't particularly enjoy working with hydrocal/plaster, nor do I enjoy painting rocks.  It's gotta be done though.

Oops did we stray from the topic a bit?

Regards

Jonathan