Book "Locomotive Catechism"

Started by Keusink, January 09, 2012, 05:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

This book just showed up at my local bookstore. It is packed with locomotive mechanical details, in question and answer form. It is about an inch thick, and has foldouts of technical diagrams, including one of "the worlds fastest locomotive" (a 4-4-0!
The original edition was in 1896, and this edition is a 1902. It does not appear ever to have been opened and is in mint condition.

Anyone know anything about this book, how common it was in use, or for whom it was designed to be used?

Chris Keusink

richg

The below link is from a Google search. Compare prices and realize, info only good for locos made up to that point.
I have picked up some good train books for that era at very good prices.
Generally, if you do a Google search for almost anything, you will get answers but do cross checks in different links for accuracy of data.

http://tinyurl.com/79h382m

Rich

Doneldon

Keu-

The so-called "world's fastest locomotive" was a New York Central 4-4-0 with towering 86" drivers. It was officially clocked at 82 mph on a run from New York City to Cleveland in 1891. I believe it averaged over 60 mph for the entire trip, an incredible rate at that time. Some people claimed to have clocked it at well over 100 mph during that run. The engine is now in the Rosenwald Museum (Museum of Science and Industry) in Chicago. It's drivers were replaced after it was taken off of passenger service so you can't appreciate how huge the drivers were but it's still a nice loco.
                                                                                                                                           -- D

Johnson Bar Jeff

Have I done the math correctly?

An engine with 86" drivers moved 22.5' for every revolution of the drivers?

CNE Runner

This locomotive (#999) powered the Empire Express (of the New York and Hudson River Railroad...predecessor to the New York Central) and in 1891 made a high speed run that gave it the title of "fastest train in the world" (at the time of course). Old #999 is still with us today on static display sans its 86" drivers...mores the pity. If you wish more information on this famous locomotive check:
I don't think any locomotive compares with the classic American 4-4-0...of course that is my opinion.

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

mhampton

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on January 10, 2012, 09:17:24 AM

I won't swear that you've done it correctly, but your math matches mine!

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: mhampton on January 10, 2012, 12:04:15 PM
Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on January 10, 2012, 09:17:24 AM

I won't swear that you've done it correctly, but your math matches mine!

Still, that's comforting. Math was never my strong point!  :D