What exactly is "Rule 17 lighting" on the new "Sound Value" decoders?

Started by railtwister, January 05, 2012, 04:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

Hi Mr. Bach-man,

The information I have been able to find states that it refers to rules requiring the dimming of the headlight in certain situations. My new Bachmann HO Alco S4 switcher's documentation states that it has "Rule 17 Lighting", and that function key 7 controls the dimming. When that function key is activated, I can see no difference in the brightness of the headlight in either direction. I do notice also that the front light stays on when the unit runs in either direction, while the rear light only comes on in reverse, which I think is better than having the headlight go completely dark in reverse, but I would like it to dim rather than stay at full brightness. Is there a separate control to adjust the voltage for the dimmed setting on the Sound Value Decoder, or was this a feature that was left off, like the brake squeal? I have already discovered that this unit has no automatic brake squeal upon deceleration, and after I asked why it needed function 196 (Brake squeal sensitivity) as was indicated on the CV list, the notation about that function was quietly removed from the list, but there was no answer to my question posted.

Thanks,
Bill in FL

richg

Below is a link with many links in it about rule 17.
I included SoundTraxx in the search and this should apply to the value ones.
Store links you like in Favorites for future reference.

http://tinyurl.com/78j46rh

Rich

railtwister

Thanks richg,

I already did essentially the same Google search. The problem is that on my loco, the F7 key seems to have no effect on the headlight brightness, while the instructions state that F7 is for dimming the lights. Since we already have had some confusion about the brake squeal, or lack thereof, I'm wondering if the dimming function is a similar omission on the "Sound Value" decoders. I haven't gotten around to checking out the other automatic features (besides the brake squeal) mentioned in the instructions yet, but I'm beginning to wonder if they are missing as well. I'm all in favor of omitting fluff like crew chatter and grade crossing bells to achieve a good basic sound decoder at a better price, but if you take away ALL of the extras except the diesel (or chuff) sound, bell, horn (or whistle) and headlight, it's a step backwards.

Regards,
Bill in FL

richg

I understand your concern after I saw the issue about the brake squeal supposedly missing I don't have the loco.
I am surprised about the missing brake squeal issue as I have not seen anything like this in any sound decoders.
Sometimes users might have to activate the sound in some sound decoders. All I have have are the Tsunami, four LokSound and one QSI sound decoder and no issues with sounds.
My one 4-6-0 with on board Tsunami operates like the Bachmann SoundTraxx documents CV list.

Rich

railtwister

Hi hunt,

It seems to be working now, I'm not sure why I couldn't get the lights to dim when I tried it before, maybe I was trying to dim while it was in reverse. Anyway, I tried the sequence exactly as you described it, and it worked.

Now, if it only had the automatic brake squeal instead of the automatic bell (which I'm sure would get old real quick) or the automatic crossing horn...

Thanks,
Bill in FL