News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ez-track

Started by speeddemon5, January 06, 2012, 06:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speeddemon5

is anyone having trouble with 'slipping loco drive wheels' on ez track???? am i missing something. i recently purchased two older AHM engines,and i have some older bachman locos...all slip whether i have cars attached or not....help please?

Jerrys HO

speeddemon5-

EZ track is the same as any other track it just has roadbed attached. If there slipping on EZ track they will probably slip on other tracks.
First check your loco's wheels, are you missing the traction tires?(steam) Track to oily?
What and  if any track grade?
More info on what type of loco's track design etc. will help.

Jerry

Doneldon

speedy-

I'm sorry but your name makes me wonder if your locomotives are slipping because you are pouring on the power to locomotives which are in front of heavy trains. You will most certainly get wheel slippage in that case, just like the real railroads. They, and you, can actually start faster by applying less power. It's like driving on ice without traction control: Your wheels can be spinning at 150 mph but your car isn't going anywhere except possibly around in circles.

If you aren't using full power at all times, then I suggest heeding the earlier responses about traction tires and oily rails or wheels.

Incidentally, full speed on most out-of-the-box model locomotives is much, much higher than those locomotives could ever have gone in real life, as much as twice the prototype's speed.
                                      -- D

speeddemon5

thanks for the replies...i did not provide enough info first time around....no pitch or uphill on layout..all level.i dont like full power starts...or high speed trains....i have an older throttle pac with pulse...which used to work very nice with my "other brand flywheel driven" locos. i prefer low power starts...more realism....and no,the slipping locos have no traction tires...all diesels...i do not even see a ring where there ever was any.the two engines in question are RSO switchers....very heavy for thier size...and they slip with or without freight. i also have a dual motor 44 tonner...same thing. i recently purchased some liquid traction maker....worked quite well for one switcher....maybe i need it for all of them. thanks again :)

Doneldon

speedy-

Okay. I apologize for my perhaps implied accusation of excessively heavy throttle use.

Given all of the new information you supplied I have to assume that there is lubricant on your rails as nothing else would seem to account for the problem. I suppose you could have a very improbable coincidence such that both locos have slipping gears but then I wouldn't expect much improvement with Bullfrog Snot. You should most definitely NOT need BFS to make large heavy locos without trains move on straight, level track.
                                                                                                                                                                          -- D

speeddemon5

yeah i've checked for oil....and ran a light scour pad over rails. the 44 tonner is a bachman spectrum#41-0804-14 ...maybe i will go look up parts list and see if they have those traction tires for that model.thanks again for the input!!!oh and no offense taken here Doneldon... ;)

NarrowMinded

So your track is flat and level and it slips without pulling a load...

Are sure ALL the wheels are turning?

something has to be holding the loco in place, maybe a coupler wire hanging down?

NM-Jeff

JerryB

The OP wrote:

Quote. . . i recently purchased two older AHM engines,and i have some older bachman locos...all slip whether i have cars attached or not . . .

While I agree with NM's assessment, would that mean all his (4 or 5) engines have something hanging down or . . . ???

This just doesn't make sense.

How about posting a picture of all your equipment that is suffering from slipping?

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Ken G Price

Why would you run a scour pad over the rails instead of a cloth to remove any oil?
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

speeddemon5

i used lifelike track  cleaner first...to get  track clean of any oil residue......then followed up with abrasive pad for shiny clean rail. in the meantime, i took  one loco apart and found a broken wire on front powered truck....at least now i know why the 44 tonner was slipping.now i just wonder about the 4 wheel single motor units........havin fun now... :o

speeddemon5

one thing is for certain....i need to put all the info here when i post. thanks again for all your kind input!!! :)