News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Sound Value Equipped Locos

Started by railtwister, January 09, 2012, 08:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

Did I imagine this, or is it possibly true? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the new Bachmann locos available with Sound Value sound decoders or in DCC-ready configuration all have come with speakers installed. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the fact that speakers cost money, and given the fact that the price on all versions of these locos is pretty low. Is there anyone out there who has a DCC-Ready version of these locos and can confirm or deny this? I know of at least one other company whose non-sound locos came with a speaker installed, but it's certainly not the norm. Also, do any of the Tsunami (or other brands like ESU's Lok-sound or QSI's Titan) sound units come with the DCC plug so that all you need to do is plug it into a DCC-ready unit and then connect the speaker separately (not quite plug & play, but close)?

Bill in FL

Doneldon

rt-

Yes. Sound Value locos have a sound board and speakers, but no DCC.
DCC installed locos are labeled "DCC on board." Locos with DCC and
sound say that.
                          -- D

richg

Speakers for DCC sound are quite cheap if you take time to do some research.
There are some with better characteristics and more expensive but not by much.
A 28mm for HO, about $5.00 to maybe $12.00 depending on source and if with a baffle.
The Bachmann and others with a speaker on board are pretty much a low end speaker. Keep cost down.
I have bought Kobitone speakers for less than $4.00 each from a major on line electronics seller.

Rich

richg

Take time to look at the EM-1 discussions about the loco that came with DCC n board with speaker and no sound module. A picture is worth a thousand words.
I suspect you might be new here and have not looked though any of the forums and product pages.
There is a lot of material some never take time to look at.

Rich

railtwister

Quote from: Doneldon on January 09, 2012, 08:49:30 PM
rt-

Yes. Sound Value locos have a sound board and speakers, but no DCC.
DCC installed locos are labeled "DCC on board." Locos with DCC and
sound say that.
                          -- D

Hi -- D,

I already have one of the Sound Value locos (an Alco S4), and it does indeed have DCC (built into the sound board). To date, ALL of the other Bachmann sound locos I have are Tsunami equipped, and they all have DCC decoders built into their sound boards, but I suspect what you may have meant was "no separate DCC decoder" or perhaps "no separate light board". To re-phrase my question, "Does a non-sound version of the newly released Alco S4, Alco 2-6-0, or Alco FA come with a speaker already installed?" I'm not sure why I'm getting answers relating to the the On30 Stearns Heisler or the B&O EM-1 in HO, since my question did not include these locos, and they use a totally different sound/dcc system. It does make some sense that those locos would have speakers, since Bachmann is selling the same version to customers that want sound, those customers just have to add the extra plug-in sound (only) board.

Bill in FL

railtwister

Quote from: richg on January 09, 2012, 08:56:49 PM
Take time to look at the EM-1 discussions about the loco that came with DCC n board with speaker and no sound module. A picture is worth a thousand words.
I suspect you might be new here and have not looked though any of the forums and product pages.
There is a lot of material some never take time to look at.

Rich

Hi Rich,

My question wasn't about the EM-1, which has a totally different system in it. As I understand it, it is different from all other Bachmann or Soundtraxx sound locos, with the possible exception of the promised On30 Heisler that has seen an unfortunate delay. Since I'm not really interested in such a large locomotive as the EM-1 at this point, you are right, I haven't been following any of the threads about it.

Regards,
Bill in FL

Bucksco

The DCC ready versions of the FA2, FB2 , S4 and the 2-6-0 do not have speakers installed. There is a speaker cavity but you will have to install a speaker.

The new Spectrum locomotives such as the EM-1 and the Heisler  that can incorporate a sound module do have a speaker installed.

railtwister

Quote from: Yardmaster on January 09, 2012, 09:38:00 PM
The DCC ready versions of the FA2, FB2 , S4 and the 2-6-0 do not have speakers installed. There is a speaker cavity but you will have to install a speaker.

The new Spectrum locomotives such as the EM-1 and the Heisler  that can incorporate a sound module do have a speaker installed.

Thanks Yardmaster for clearly answering my question. - Bill in FL