Noob here, need help with lubing.

Started by spdaylight, January 10, 2012, 02:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spdaylight

Hey guys, I'm pretty much a newbie to model trains.  I've had HO scale trains through out my life, but never collected or anything of the sort.  I would like to make sure and take good care of the engines, and I have an older engine that I'm sure needs lubing, but don't know which lubes to use and such.  Can anyone help me on this?

mhampton

First, make sure you have cleaned off all of the old crud.  Next, select some good plastic-compatible lubricant (Labelle makes good stuff).  Some light oil for the motor bearings and a light grease for gears.  Also remember that when lubing a model, LESS is BEST!.  Put on too much and you will just attract more dust and dirt to get you back to the point where it needs to be cleaned again.

Doneldon

esspee-

Two things to remember: Plastic compatible grease and use very little. I like to
tell people to take the least amount of grease they think will do and then use
half of that. Welcome to model railroading and this board.
                                                                                        -- D

CNE Runner

SP - I suggest you view (probably a couple of times) this excellent video on the proper run-in and lubrication of Bachmann locomotives that appeared on YouTube:
I hope this illustrates the advice given above.

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Desertdweller

CNE Runner

Les - You are entirely welcome...this little tutorial has helped me.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

spdaylight

Thanks for the info.  And great video!