News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-line

Started by tomplatten, January 08, 2012, 02:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomplatten

This may have already been discussed, but I see, if I read it correctly, that Lionel is severing its connection with K-line trains. Is it possible Bachmann will try to pursue K-line. It would be ashamed to see this line of trains disappear!

Jerrys HO

Doubt that they will, but whose to say. I fine K-Line in my opinion was like Lifelike is to Bachmann nowadays. The few I owned never held up as good as my Lionels. But then again this is my opinion.

Jerry

JerryB

This is kind of old news, if it is news!

K-Line was produced (under contract) by Sanda Kan at least since the early 2000s or perhaps somewhat earlier and the K-Line tooling has been owned by Sanda Kan at least since 2005 or 2006. Kader Industrial Company Limited is the owner of both Sanda Kan and Bachmann. Recognize that the precise relationships of these Chinese companies, their licensing agreements, and their public faces are all kind of murky!

K-Line was licensed (assumedly by Sanda Kan / Kader) to Lionel in 2006 or 2007 and Lionel sold the products under the "K-Line by Lionel" brand name until mid-2010 when Lionel stopped production reportedly due to lack of sales. There are reports from that time that Kader subsequently sold off some of the tooling, but these are not much more than rumors as the supposed buyer isn't identified.

I seriously doubt you will see a new "K-Line by Bachmann," as they already have the "Williams by Bachmann" line to cover 0-scale. Since Sanda Kan / Kader / Bachmann have had full access to and possibly ownership of the K-Line brands and tooling for several years, it seems as if the (now defunct) brand and the (seriously outdated) products are just going to disappear.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

phillyreading

I was just over to the RMT model train site and it looks like they are picking up the K-Line Super Snap Track, which could be out later this year, maybe March 2012. The switches in the new Super Snap Track look like kit bashed 031 switches and DZ-1000 switch machines. Also seen some K-Line looking items for sale at RMT.

Bachmann may release a few K-Line items, but time will tell.

Lee F.

Len

There was a big discussion about this on the OGR forum back Kadar first took over Sanda Kan and didn't renew the "K-Line by Lionel" agreement with Lionel, which was set to expire on 1 Jan 2011.

Basically, the K-Line tooling has been parcelled out, and K-Line is no more . The major stuff more or less breaks down to:

Bachmann got the "Super-Streets", soon to be "EZ-Streets" to add to their 'O' line-up.

Ready-Made-Toys (RMT) got "Super-Snap Track" and the O-27 stuff.

Atlas-O got the full size 'O' rolling stock.

Lionel keeps the reproduction American Flyer track, since they own the rights to American Flyer.

I haven't seen a good listing on how the buildings, bridge piers & trestle sets, etc., shook out yet. I'm hoping the trestle sets & bridge piers stay available, because they work really well with the Atlas-O "21st Century" track system.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.