News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler casing.

Started by ffcruzm, January 10, 2012, 10:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffcruzm

Hi,

I was trying to replace a rapido coupler with a knuckle coupler and accidentally lost the bottom part of the casing that holds the coupler as well as the screw. This is for a 70186 N 3 Dome Tank Car - Pennsalt.

Do you guys know if I can buy these pieces or of there is some fix? I was thinking on gluing a small piece of plastic to replace the bottom part of the casing.

Thanks.

Ken G Price

Gluing a small piece of plastic in what many  modelers do.
To really get into more then the basics, you will need to learn many skills just like many other hobbies that have lots of parts involved.
It can be lots fun when you learn how to solve, build or fix a problem. It is one of the things I like about model trains.

You may find it cost effective to buy couplers, truck, wheels, etcetera. in bulk as you will use them over time.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

James in FL

For those lost parts, try some old pantyhose or an old dryer sheet doubled over, pulled tight and held with a rubber band over the nozzle of a vacuum.

You might also consider changing the trucks with the knuckle couplers already attached. To fit MT or Atlas trucks on Bachmann cars you will need to ream the bolster hole of the trucks. I've used a 9/64 drill bit, turned with fingers, with good success. The delrin plastic is soft, use very light pressure with the bit. You may find a tap handle useful here. The MT trucks can be bought in pairs or in bulk (10 pairs).