News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Sound decoder for the new 2-6-0

Started by Pacific Northern, January 10, 2012, 09:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Now that I know the DCC ready version of the new 2-6-0 comes with an 8 pin plug I must ask the question will BAchmann be releasing a DCC with sound board for this new 2-6-0 or will buyers of this engine who want to add DCC and sound have to go with third party sound boards to upgrade this engine to DCC and sound?

Mr Bachmann or Administrator please answer my question.

Thanks
Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear PN,
As far as I know, there is none on the immediate horizon.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

railtwister

Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 10, 2012, 09:13:32 PM
Now that I know the DCC ready version of the new 2-6-0 comes with an 8 pin plug I must ask the question will BAchmann be releasing a DCC with sound board for this new 2-6-0 or will buyers of this engine who want to add DCC and sound have to go with third party sound boards to upgrade this engine to DCC and sound?

Mr Bachmann or Administrator please answer my question.

Thanks

Hi PN,

That wouldn't make a lot of sense, since Bachmann already offers the loco with factory on-board sound, as well as the DC version, and especially given the fact that buying just a Sound Decoder by itself will likely cost the same or maybe even more than the loco with sound already installed at the factory. Besides, other than QSI's new Titan, which may be too large (3.096L x 0.65W x 0.40H), do any Sound Decoders come with an 8 pin plug, or are they all meant to be hard-wired?

Bill in FL

Bucksco

The eight pin plug/socket arrangment gives you the option of putting any NMRA compliant DCC decoder in it. Bachmann installs SoundTraxx decoders in our Spectrum series locos so that would be the natural choice if your willing to spend as much on the decoder as you did on the locomotive.

richg

The Bachmann company cannot please everyone. They are attempting to place a sound loco in the market that is more affordable. More options always means more cost.
An analogy is, more options in a Cadillac than a Chevy. Even a Caveman can understand that.

Rich

Pacific Northern

My main reason for asking about the possible availability of the new DCC/Sound decoder used in the new 2-6-0 was wondering if Bachmann was going to release the DCC/Sound decoder those of us with the old DCC ready Spectrums would possibly have available to us a board that might fit those older DCC ready Spectrum locomotives.

By the way the reason I wanted the Bachmann or the Administrator to respond was due to receiving responses based on off the cuff irrational opinions and not fact. (like a Chevy and Cadillac comparison) Duh....

Realize that Bachmann now has a new PC board combining DCC and Sound, perhaps it might have future uses other than being found in the new 2-6-0's.
Pacific Northern

Bucksco

railtwister

Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 11, 2012, 06:52:41 PM
Realize that Bachmann now has a new PC board combining DCC and Sound, perhaps it might have future uses other than being found in the new 2-6-0's.

Hi PN,

Actually, from the photos, there are at least two of the new Sound Value boards, one for the 2-6-0 and one for the S4 (and possibly three, because I haven't yet seen photos of the boards in the FA's, which may or may not be the same as the S4). I have done a little research and found that you can indeed get Sound and DCC boards with the NMRA plugs from all three of the major sound providers; Soundtraxx (Tsunami), QSI (Titan), and ESU Lok Sound, and some are even available in different sizes as well, so plug and play is quite possible, with a lot of choices depending on your particular loco. The biggest challenge will likely be the speaker and where to mount it, unless you are lucky enough to already have provisions in your loco for a speaker.

Bill in FL