News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Turntable

Started by hawaiiho, January 10, 2012, 10:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

I been asked to help install a new Bachmann turntable on a DCC layout with a DCC EZ Controller, and something  has come up that I can not answer.

The instructions provided  say that separate power supplies are required for the track and the turntable, or a DCC decoder has to be installed in the Turntable.

Can the DCC EZ Controller be plugged into the track and use the old DC Controller to power the turntable?

Or am I misreading the whole thing?

Will

the Bach-man

Dear Will,
Once the decoder is installed, there is no need for a second power source.  It picks up power from the track.
Just make sure the turntable is connected at the correct lead in track.  You can see the wires underneath.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

hawaiiho

I thought I hadn't been very clear.
We don't have a decoder for the turntable right now. We have to obtain one and since there is no
LHS, it will have to be ordered. In the interim can the turntable be operated using the old EZ DC Controller,
and still operate his trains DCC?

Jerrys HO

Will

Yes the old DC power pack can be hooked to your turntable. The separate DC power actually just controls the TT bridge movement. The actual power to the rails comes from the #4 track position. Do not hook any other power tracks to the TT unless you insulate them from the TT. I used Atlas insulated rail joiners to do this.
Once and if you decide to put a decoder in you will have to remove the separate DC power pack.

Jerry

hawaiiho

Quote from: Jerrys HO on January 11, 2012, 12:16:40 AM
Will

Yes the old DC power pack can be hooked to your turntable. The separate DC power actually just controls the TT bridge movement. The actual power to the rails comes from the #4 track position. Do not hook any other power tracks to the TT unless you insulate them from the TT. I used Atlas insulated rail joiners to do this.
Once and if you decide to put a decoder in you will have to remove the separate DC power pack.

Jerry

Jerry,

I was at my friends this afternoon.  He sends his thanks. Works like a charm. Well enough that he may not even order the decoder.

To The Bach-man

If you could pass along a couple of things.  It wouldn't hurt to improve the provided instructions to reflect that operating the turntable with a DC controller and the layout with a DCC controller  is a third option. And the provided cable that goes between turntable direction controller and the turntable is way to short. It barely reaches the far edge of the turntable with 9 inch straights installed. That cable needs to be twice the current length, at least.

Will