News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my EM1 review

Started by martinni, February 01, 2012, 06:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinni

Maybe i got a bad luck , the first EM1  i  ordered got a bunch of problems,  so i had to return it and now i got another one , this one is much better than my first one ,  overall it is a good engine but it is not that nice as what i had been expecting , the detail is good but there are a few things that should be better like the bell ---not hollow ,  the cab interior .........  and the second thing is the poor electrical pick from the tender , perhaps the wire problem , my first one and my second one are the same . 
    the last one i would say is that the curve handling problem , i mean i run it on straight tracks  and switch it from one staight track to another by 22 inch turnouts,  the tender almost comes off tracks due to the big cab swing of the engine , you can say it can not handle S shape curves,  poor design for the connection between the cab and the tender

blf

When I first ran my EM-1 on a friends layout we had trouble with the tender also. When I returned home and adjuster the wire connections (3 on each side of draw bar it worked fine on my test layout. No problems what ever through my #8 crossover or the #6 siding. Bill

jonathan

Martinni,

Here are a couple of tips to help smooth things out on your EM-1:

1.  Tender pick up.  Check the plugs that go into the locomotive from the tender.  Make sure they are seated all the way down.  Make sure the phosphor bronze brushes, on the axles, have not picked up any debris.  I added a touch of conductalube to the axles.  I have experienced no pick up problems with my two EM-1s.  It seems strange that you would get two in a row with the same problem.  Also, the directions tell you to keep the connecting wires situated above the drawbar.  This is easy to do with a little manipulation.

2. Possible derailment issues between locomotive and tender.  The shape of the drawbar is critical.  Remember, this is a 17.5" behemoth trying to run through relatively tight radii (22"R-24"R).  You'll notice a hump in the drawbar just over the trailing trucks.  After that, the draw bar should travel down slightly, so that it sits about 1/3 of the way down on the tender's king pin.  This is absolutely necessary.  The drawbar will naturally have a tendency to ride up the king pin when travelling through curves.  The drawbar will lift up the tender, on a curve, if there is no space to accommodate the drawbar.

3.  Turnouts.  Not sure what is meant by '22 inch turnouts'.  I have run mine through a crossover, using Atlas Customline #6 turnouts (Code 83).  I have spent some time ensuring these turnouts were laid flat and smooth.  The turnouts were also tweaked a bit with a needle file, so nothing can catch the wheels as they pass through.

4.  Detailing.  For the price point on these locomotives, the detailing is quite good.  Beats spending thousands on a bra$$ version. 

Perhaps this thread will help you through any other trouble spots:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18857.0.html

Mine run flawlessly so far.  Sorry you are having bad luck.

Regards,

Jonathan