News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Equipped vs Installing it yourself?

Started by Jake, July 19, 2007, 03:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

I have always been wondering this since Bachmann started the HO scale DCC & Sound Onboard models. My thing is, what is the real difference between the "special" Tsunami in the pre-equipped engines and a retail one? I also know that the on board engines are not hard-synced with a cam. Are they reasonably soft synced? Because while I do not care where the sound comes from on the engine (unlike a few of us ;) ) an off-synced engine is one thing I will NOT have. And if it is oddly synced, is there a way to correct it, or, preferably a way to install a cam? Does buying it with the decoder equipped save a bit of time? (Well obviously it does, but if the retail Tsunami take 5-10 mins to install, and isn't stupifyingly hard it doesn't matter to me, I will go with what is less expensive!) And that basically covers all I want to know! Thank you in advance!
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

The Tsunami that comes with the sound Spectrums does not have all the bells and whistles of the regular one.  However, it is possible to synchronize the chuff with the wheels on all the sound decoders I have.  Some just take more time than others.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Virginian

Got to agree with Gene.  None of my sound engines had a working hard cam synchronization set up, but all of them have the wheels and cam in synch up past where one can accurately see the wheels whirling around.  Only one did not come that way from the factory, and it was easy to rectify.
"What could have happened... did."

Jake

I'm sorry virginian, could you repat that? lol.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!