EZ Command use with analog 44212 power pack?

Started by ftherrmann, January 09, 2012, 04:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftherrmann

When reading the user manual and marketing literature it sounds like you can simultaneously operate 9 dcc engines and 1 analog engine when the 44212 power pack is connected.  I just spoke with Bachmann and I was told this isn't really correct.  Bachmann tells me that when you plug in the 44212 the setup converts to DC mode and all engines operate at the same speed/direction.

When reading the EZ Command manual it states:  " the connected DC controller will allow you or a friend to control a DC locomotive in conjunction with your EZ Command System".     The word "conjunction" sounds like you can operate 9 DCC engines and one DC engine with the two individual controls   (44212 and EZ Command).

Electrically it seems that superimposing a pulsed DC signal over a constant DC signal would result in pulses that could reach 32 volts (2x16v).  If this is true it can't be good for the engines.

I'm confused....   Anyone out there actually know what the gospel is on this?

Thanks,

Fred

ftherrmann

Hunt,

Thanks for the link.  Good info.  It all makes sense now.

Fred

skooksteve

Hunt,

Could you enlighten the rest of us? I just got an EZ command control and I am wondering the same thing.

cwmeeks

Steve,

Without getting into how DCC and DC work. I can give you an example of using the 44212 power pack in Conjunction with the ez Command. I have a layout and 10 locomotives with DCC. My yard uses a  DC switcher. It (the switcher) sets on a stub with switched power. Using the ez command and the 44212 power pack together, I can move a total of 11locos with only having to throw the switch to the stub. Without the power pack a total of 10 is all that is possible. 9 plus position 10 on the ez command. Basically it adds one more DCC locomotive to the mix and uses the 44212 as a DC throttle. I have the stub switched in order to remove the power from the DC motor when not in use.
Does that muddy the waters even further?

Regards
Chuck

skooksteve

Thanks Chuck. You've given me some things to think about. What I like about model railroading is it exercises my brain and keeps it running more smoothly.   :)

WTierce1

Actually you can run 10 DCC locos on the E-Z Command when you have the extra controller. You can run the 9 DCC and 1 analogue with the E-Z Command alone. I know because I do it all the time. The 10th loco selection button acts just like a DCC button when you have the secondary controller.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad