Help!! Dual mode newby fears he fried his new 2-6-0's decoder in DC ...

Started by frn1963, January 12, 2012, 10:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frn1963

I'm new to owning locos with dual-mode decoders and today I rushed home from the hobby store and put my beautiful new 2-6-0 on my partially-built layout, fired up the cheapi train power 1300 power pack.  Mystified by the flashing lights and jerky operation, and assuming that, as with old fashioned DC locos it just needed more juice, I floored it. All it did then was flash its lights and make pathetic snapping sounds
THEN I consulted the little guide that came with it and realized I probably fried the decoder.
1.  Did I?
2.  If so, how do I get a new decoder and replace it?  Is it easy?

Yes I know I should have read the guide first - won't make THAT mistake again!

Jerrys HO

Assuming you are talking about the MRC railpower 1300 power pack, that should not have caused the decoder to burn up,as Bachmanns dual decoders are set up to be used on both DC and DCC. Give Bachmann's service dept. a call as this may be a defective decoder. I purchased one of the gp 50's that stated DCC onboard and when I set it on my track it did the same thing. Bachmann to care of it immediately. Around this time of year please be patient as there work load does increase after x-mas.

Jerry

Be sure to enclose your warranty card and receipt when you send it back

CNE Runner

I have to agree with Jerry as I have been running my Bachmann Spectrum GE 45-Ton locomotive (dual mode equipped) on DC for almost 2 years now without a hitch. I'm sure Bachmann will make your Mogul well again.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: frn1963 on January 12, 2012, 10:33:56 PM
I'm new to owning locos with dual-mode decoders and today I rushed home from the hobby store and put my beautiful new 2-6-0 on my partially-built layout, fired up the cheapi train power 1300 power pack.  Mystified by the flashing lights and jerky operation, and assuming that, as with old fashioned DC locos it just needed more juice, I floored it. All it did then was flash its lights and make pathetic snapping sounds
THEN I consulted the little guide that came with it and realized I probably fried the decoder.
1.  Did I?

Friend, I feel your pain. It's enormously frustrating to have something like this happen with a brand-new locomotive. You rush home from the hobby shop all excited to run your new engine, and then--poof!--something like this happens.  :(

I hope you won't let this turn you off to model railroading or to Bachmann products.

(No, I don't work for Bachmann. ...)

richg

Sounds like you should return the loco for a replacement.
Make sure the track is clean, not looks clean but you actually cleaned the track.
I use alcohol with a lint free rag. I have stayed away from Bright Boy for many years.
IF I need  some abrasive, I use a piece of #2000 abrasive paper I get from an auto paint store. That is almost like polishing the top of the rails.
I glue the back side of the abrasive to a hardwood block.

You must know by now, NEVER assume with DCC.

Good luck.

Rich

RAM

As Rich said "I use alcohol with a lint free rag"., just don't drink it.  I would not not only stay away from Bright Boy, but also the abrasive paper.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: RAM on January 15, 2012, 05:54:16 PM
As Rich said "I use alcohol with a lint free rag"., just don't drink it.

Sure enough. It's much better from a glass. ...  ;)

ebtnut

What I hope didn't happen is that you mistakenly hooked up the AC leads to the track instead of the controlled DC.  That would blow the decoder post-haste. 

Ken G Price

Quote from: ebtnut on January 17, 2012, 03:47:25 PM
What I hope didn't happen is that you mistakenly hooked up the AC leads to the track instead of the controlled DC.  That would blow the decoder post-haste. 

That would be very, very bad indeed.  :o
I have never done that, but have read many horror stories about those that have. :'(

What lesson is to be learn from this?  ???
Always read the manual first unless you have worked correctly with the items before. ;)
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

richg

Quote from: frn1963 on January 12, 2012, 10:33:56 PM
1.  Did I?

The silence is deafening. How about getting back to us and let us know how you are doing. This may help someone else in the future.

Rich

frn1963

Update -

Thanks to all for your advice - I called Bachmann service and told them about the problem - they said to send the loco back to them and they would have a look at it and let me know.  When they do, if this post hasn't sunk way down, I'll let you know.  Good thing the loco is clearly under warranty.  Gotta say it's a very nice piece of work - looking forward to working it into a New Haven K-1d ...

Luckily, I am not in a huge rush ...

And no, I did not hook up the AC power - I may be new to DCC - but I have been a model railroader (and have read the mags) for over 40 years. 

(Now I guess it's time for me to start reading the manuals!)

Thanks again.

rrbob

This happened with my 2-6-0. Just lights flashing.  Then I took it back to the shop.  They showed me that is what it does until you increase the power to get it going.  Did't look right to me but that is what mine did.  Then I got a cheap used Bachmann EZ Command throttle and run it on that with no problem. 
Been in this hobby over 50 years and this is my first DCC and sound equipted engine and I'm hooked on sound now.
This engine will get wore out! ;D
Hope you get yours back soon.
Bob D.

frn1963

Another update -

Before boxing the loco up, I decided to give it another try to make sure I was describing the problem correctly - it behaved erratically - jerking around, odd noises, not sure which way to go, etc. - but I began to wonder if it weren't the power pack (MRC Railpower 1300 from a trainset).  I have an MDC 4-4-0 which had never run, so I took that out of the box and ran it too - it showed a warmup period and then ran reasonably well, but not great either.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't upgrade the power pack.  Can anybody recommend a good DC power pack?

lirrman

I use DC.  So when I bought the dual operation GS4 Freedom loco it did pretty much the same thing (can't remember if it was DCC On-board or DCC ready, there is a difference apparently).  Bachmann told me to remove the small PC board (decoder?) and replace it with a small dummy clip that came with the loco.  The little clip plugs into where the PC board plug came out of.  Problem solved.  I have also bought Bachmann locomotives with similar PC boards and they worked fine on DC track right out of the box.  Go figure.

LIRRMAN