News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Anyone lubed their EM-1 yet?

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, January 23, 2012, 12:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Wondering if anyone has removed the bottom plates in order to lube their EM-1's driver axels and gear box yet.
If so does this engine use the tiny bronze fingers for electrical pick up like the 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 ? Jonathon ?
Found those to be really kinda finiky getting the bottom plate back in without bending them out of shape.
Rocky Lives

jonathan

GN,

When I disassembled mine, for inspection, I found PLENTY of lubrication.  I wiped down individual parts to remove excess lubrication.  I doubt anyone has enough run time, yet, to consider adding any oil or grease. It has been my experience that there is always plenty of grease on the drive wheel gears.  Adding anything at this point would just create a mess and rough running.

That being said, I did apply a tiny drop of light oil to the motor bearings, an often overlooked spot during factory assembly.  Also, I did apply a tiny amount of light oil to the eccentric crank pins.  A tiny drop was applied to the pick up brushes on the tender axles and a microscopic drop was applied to the backs of the drive wheels.

I use a needle point applicator bottle of conductalube for these tiny applications.  I do this to all my locomotives when new.  So far, they all run smooth--and quiet to my ears.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

I see this question here every so often. I am curious on what percentage of people really need to lub their new loco?
Over the years I have seen many who had a loco with other issues and first thought, must be needed to be lubed. Usually end up with too much lub.
As Jonathan said, the motor might need a tiny drop on each bearing.

Rich

GN.2-6-8-0

Was mainly curious about the contact fingers but thanks for letting me know i won't have to worry about the gearboxs.
Rocky Lives

Doneldon

Most models I see, other than brass, seem to be well lubed from the factory. I think the manufacturers recommend lubing when new because many locomotives sit for several years after they were manufactured until they are sold. After all, they don't sell enough to manufacture continuously. And in the time between building and running, lubrication can settle off of parts or congeal. And it can't hurt to open a new loco to check on the lube and see what it looks like before there's a problem. That might help us diagnose what's wrong if a problem develops later.
                                                                        -- D