News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-4-0 question

Started by MilwaukeeRoadfan261, January 19, 2012, 05:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I am looking at the Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0 and had a quick question. How many cars it can pull on level track? And are the tender body shells interchangeable between the Baldwin and Richmond versions?

Jerrys HO

I don't have a 4-4-0 but my 0-6-0 could only pull 6-8 car's with a little slipping mainly on turn's. I added a little weight thanks to another member of this forum and she pull's with no slipping even with 10 car's. Never tried any more as I usually only have 2 open observation car's attached to it for tourists.

Jerry

CNE Runner

MRF - My 4-4-0s will easily pull 8 - 10 cars on the level (these being, for the most part, 36' units). Keep in mind that prototype 4-4-0s didn't pull much more (and many times less). The American locomotive was extremely lightweight (more so when one looks at motive power of the early to mid 19th century). If you need to pull more cars, you will probably have to do what the real railroads did...go to a Mogul, Ten-Wheeler, or Consolidation.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

uncbob

Here is a video of my 4-4-0  pulling 5--50' Overlands weighted to NRA standards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvNVbwjoM6Y&feature=youtu.be

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: uncbob on January 19, 2012, 06:27:50 PM
Here is a video of my 4-4-0  pulling 5--50' Overlands weighted to NRA standards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvNVbwjoM6Y&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for posting the link.  :)  Fun to watch the video, and nice layout.  :)

CNE Runner

Jeff - I also agree...nice layout. I especially like the photographic backdrop you have as it fits the theme of the scene. Unfortunately my numerous searches have yet to find one for the Monks' Island...therefore I decided to go with a 'stage black' backing.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Thank you for the information and uncbob for the video link. That is a nice looking layout you have. Mine is in the middle of a rebuild. I had mine on 1/4" foam (not very sturdy that foam). Now it is on 1/4" plywood and almost done. Al I have to do is fasten the inner loop and third passing track.

uncbob

Thanks for the compliments on the layout

rogertra

I like the photo backdrops as they'd suit my modelling location.

Are they yours or commercial?

If commercial, who makes them?

uncbob

Can't remember right off but if you goggle model railroad backdrops you will find several referenced

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: florynow on January 20, 2012, 09:33:43 PM
The Bachmann 4-4-0 is really a very little engine and to my vision doesn't look right with much more than 8 or 10 cars anyway. It doesn't even look right pushing a large tank car.

PF

I usually use mine for passenger service. It looks good with a combine and a couple of coaches.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I will admit it looks good with some older style passenger cars behind it but, are the tender body shells interchangeable between the Richmond and Baldwin Modern 4-4-0's?