Need replacement locomotive - Pacific Flyer (4432)

Started by gm, December 20, 2011, 07:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gm

My son received the Pacific Flyer as a gift. I accidentally dropped the locomotive and it broke. The wheels came off and got bent. I don't think I can fix it. I need a replacement locomotive. The rest of the train is OK. Can I just order the locomotive? I see the locomotive and tender in the catalog for 87.00 but that's a bit pricey, especially considering this is a pretty flimsy plastic train set (no offense).

trif

Try going to wholesaletrains.com   I have bought a lot of Bachmann  trains and equipment from them at really good prices, usually a little more than 1/2 the price in the catalog. Good luck Trif

the Bach-man

Dear GM,
Give service a call, They'll be able to help.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

gm

I called service two days ago but have not heard back. I understand this is the busy holiday season. Maybe you can tell me what the part number is so I can order it?

the Bach-man

Dear GM,
As far s I know, there's no part number for the loco alone. Call (215)533-1699 and ask for Bridget, the service manager.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

gm

I called 215-533-1699 and the number is not in service.

gm

I called and left Bridget a voice mail message last week. Still haven't heard back. I guess I will have to check ebay or wholesaletrains.com. I will be sure to warn people not to buy your products in the future; they break too easily and then you force the customer to re-purchase it.

railtwister

Quote from: gm on January 11, 2012, 02:23:34 PM
I called and left Bridget a voice mail message last week. Still haven't heard back. I guess I will have to check ebay or wholesaletrains.com. I will be sure to warn people not to buy your products in the future; they break too easily and then you force the customer to re-purchase it.

I realize your frustration in not receiving a response quickly, but keep in mind that the month of January is very difficult in the model train business because the service departments are simply swamped with calls. Also keep in mind that in years past, Bachmann has shut down for several days during January to perform an annual inventory, and that could be another reason for delays in their response. I think your rush to bash the quality of Bachmann's products and service department is a bit harsh, especially since you said that you dropped the loco which is what caused the damage in the first place. I don't know of any model loco that can receive that kind of treatment without sustaining damage, and it's unfair to blame the product because you dropped it. I am sure once you can get in touch with the service department they will be able to help you out somehow.

Try calling again and try to be patient...

Bill in FL

WTierce1

Quote from: gm on January 11, 2012, 02:23:34 PM

Dropping it is your own fault not Bachmanns. I have a good bit of Bachmann trains and none of them are broke to the extent you can tell and that is my fault. I highly recommend getting Bachmann. The are very good and sturdy trains. Dropping the train is your own fault and it is most likely going to break if it is to high. I also don't think that the warranty covers what you did.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

gm

I agree that dropping the train was my fault. That's why I'm willing to pay for the replacement.
However I'm not the only consumer out there who has complained about Bachmann's quality.
Take a look at the reviews on Amazon.com for the Pacific Flyer. Quite a few complaints about the flimsy plastic construction.
This was a *child's* toy. Seven year olds don't handle their toys like china dolls. They bang them down and crash them into things.
My son got the Santa Fe train last year and we had the same problem. The wheels kept coming off the train cars, and he finally lost so many of the wheels we couldn't use the trains anymore.
If you're going to sell flimsy plastic stuff then at least allow us to purchase the replacement cars more easily.
This toy was not cheap. I don't see how you can charge 87.00 for a train set that breaks so easily.
I think the people defending this toy are not kids; you are adult train collectors. But most of the time it's kids who want these trains and I think they should be designed to handle a little more wear and tear.

railtwister

A few things need to be considered here. Most of the Bachmann train packages I have come with a disclaimer note on the box that says: "Authentically detailed model not recommended for children under 14 years of age". That said, all kids are different, and some are much harder on their toys than others. If your child is only seven, he may be a bit young for HO trains, especially if this is his first toy train, or he may simply need supervision when playing with it. In the toy & hobby business there is a saying that "smaller hands need bigger trains". You could try giving him one of the larger size train sets such as "O" gauge, or "G" gauge (large scale), but be advised that the bigger trains also carry bigger prices.

In any cou should at least try to contact the Bachmann service department first, they may be able to repair your loco for a reasonable cost, maybe even under warranty, even though you dropped it (this has been known to happen in the past). If you do need to replace the locomotive, they will have to charge you full retail price ($87), so as not to undercut their dealers, but you are also free to shop around for better prices from any of those dealers, many of whom may offer substantial discounts.  I have had very good luck with one of those dealers, <www.thefavoritespot.com> in Texas, who offers excellent service in addition to great prices. They also have a store on eBay, if you enjoy online auctions.

Good Luck,
Bill in FL