em-1 sound module burn in time and rule 17

Started by aweinstock, January 21, 2012, 11:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aweinstock

Hi,
Has anyone experienced an initial burn in time before the EM-1 sound decoder functions? Mine required about 10 minutes after installation before ir worked properly. Does this indicate future trouble?
How do you implement rule 17 headlight dimming. What CV etc?
Thanks
AW

richg

Please give us more info.

What type of DCC controller?

I have to assume you are not using a DC power pack.

I have never heard anything about burn in time for a decoder.

Download and read through the document for the sound module. The link has been posted here. Look though the messages for em-1 CV's.

Rich

jonathan

I plugged in my sound module, and it was up and running, well, immediately.  I've had no issues to date.  Nice, crisp sounds by the way... no distortion.  Very, very nice.  Can't wait to show it off at Timonium in a couple weeks.

My layout is DC.  I can imagine how fun it will be on our DCC system.

Regards,

Jonathan

aweinstock

Hi again,
I have read the instruction manuals and they did not help with the delayed decoder function. As for the  rule 17 implementation instructions, I need some clarification as I do not understand the instructions as provided. Therefore I am asking for help.
AW

Jim Banner

Reading about your decoder's delayed start up concerns me.  Short of having the sound initially muted, then turning off the mute after 10 minutes, this should not happen.  The only other thing that I can think of that could cause that effect would be an electrolytic capacitor connected backwards.  When that happens, the capacitor leaks (electrically speaking) rather badly and heats up.  It may in time reform its insulating working layer, which could account for the sound system starting up after a delay, but the leaking and heating continues.  Left in this state, capacitors have a bad habit of exploding and spewing shredded aluminum foil in all directions.  Not exactly what you want thrown around inside your locomotive.

You might want to talk to the folks at Bachmann about this.  They may suggest you keep on running the locomotive as it is running okay now, but at least you will be on record if something untoward should happen.

Jim Banner
Electronics Technologist 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

aweinstock

Followup to original post:after a mild bump to the tender all the sound functions ceased. After much agonizing the simple solution was a loose sound module which disconnected completely during the light bump. After reinstallation of the module (with a good push)  all functions were totally normal.
AW