News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO steamers

Started by VMFPAPPY, January 21, 2012, 09:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VMFPAPPY

Does Bachmann offer any steam locos that will run well on a `15" curve?

GN.2-6-8-0

The new standard line 2-6-0 and the spectrum line 4-4-0 might negociate 15" radius curves.
Rocky Lives

jonathan

The 0-6-0 and O-6-0T both do it.  My 2-8-0s will negotiate 15".  Others report their 2-8-0s won't do it.

BTW, if the new 2-6-0 Alco will do it, you should consider that one.  I just saw some at a Train Show today.  Man, the detail is really something.  Hard to imagine such a pretty loco, with sound, for under $100 US at a train show.  All I can say is, 'wow'.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on January 21, 2012, 03:20:15 PM

BTW, if the new 2-6-0 Alco will do it, you should consider that one.  I just saw some at a Train Show today.  Man, the detail is really something.  Hard to imagine such a pretty loco, with sound, for under $100 US at a train show.  All I can say is, 'wow'.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan.

Actually, I don't know how high you set your standards but the detail on the new Alco 2-6-0 is really lacking.  It's not a Spectrum engine so, as even Bachmann has said, it has less details than a Spectrum engine to keep the price low.

It has cast on sand pipes and is missing a lot of airbrake piping, like the cooling coils.  It's also missing classification lamps, a whistle, boiler bands, rivet details, boiler water feed check valves and their delievery piping, the tender fall plate between engine and tender, cylinder relief valves, cab awnings, cab armrests(?), crew figures and several other details that are usually seen on Spectrum models.

However, I have two and they are sweet running engines and adding the missing details will be no problem.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: rogertra on January 21, 2012, 04:19:51 PM
It's also missing classification lamps, a whistle, boiler bands, rivet details, boiler water feed check valves and their delievery piping, the tender fall plate between engine and tender, cylinder relief valves, cab awnings, cab armrests(?), crew figures and several other details that are usually seen on Spectrum models.

However, I have two and they are sweet running engines and adding the missing details will be no problem.

It doesn't even have a whistle?  ???

rogertra

No obvious whistle as far as I can see, unless it's supposed to be one of those brass coloured bits on the steam turret directly in front of the cab.  If it is, it looks nothing like a North American whistle.  If it is one of those two brass coloured bits, then it's more like a European whistle than a North American one.

But don't let that put you off.  If you are satisfied with the lack of detail or you have the skills to add what's missing, it's a great loco for the price.  I mean, DCC and sound for around US$110.00 and it runs as good as anything else on the market, you can't go wrong!

RAM

On another forum they had quite a discussion of the alco 2-6-0.  It didn't have boiler bands.  After looking at pictures sent in by readers.  Many small steam locomotives did not have boiler bands.  And many of the models that did were way to thick.

glennk28

a 4-4-0 takes quite a large radius because of its wheelbase.  gj

Pacific Northern

Quote from: glennk28 on January 22, 2012, 06:18:12 PM
a 4-4-0 takes quite a large radius because of its wheelbase.  gj

???
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on January 22, 2012, 05:15:42 PM
On another forum they had quite a discussion of the alco 2-6-0.  It didn't have boiler bands.  After looking at pictures sent in by readers.  Many small steam locomotives did not have boiler bands.  And many of the models that did were way to thick.

Ram.

Before you make statements like that, get your facts right.

ALL steam locomotives with boiler lagging had boiler bands to hold the sheet steel boiler cladding in place.  Period, no exceptions!

RAM

If anyone is interested I did a search on Genesee & Wyoming.  There was three nice pictures of also 2-6-0 built in 1905-06