Bought some track today.... now a question about Dynamis...

Started by mdmeyers1982, January 22, 2012, 11:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdmeyers1982

I picked up 25 pieces of Atlas code 83 flex track today for a good price... now I have a few DCC questions:

1. I think I'm going to stick with Bachmann products... and get a DCC ready GP40 engine.. I found one I really like on ebay. Since I currently do NOT have a DCC set up, I found this link searching the boards here

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-36505-Dynamis-DCC-Controller-p/bac-36505.htm

Is the above system *everything* needed to hook up to the track I ordered... or is that just a controller and I need to buy other stuff for it? I want to make sure I have an entire "plug and play" set up ready soon.

2. I have read DCC works best if you add feeder lines to it every few feet into the layout. what do I need and where do I get it?  ???

Thanks!
-Mike

hawaiiho

Yes, it will provide you all you need to begin DCC ops. Using Atlas track, you will need track feeder connections for the Atlas track.

I have two layouts, one of which, I have been operating the Dynamis DCC system on for more than two years.

It has performed very exceptably.

Dynamis has one major limitation. The system as you are buying it will not read decoders, only program them.
With that in mind, it becomes your choice.

As to the distance between power feed points, I will leave that up to others. I have a 4 X 8 layout and have two feed points. I  have had no problems at all. I have run as many a three trains at a time.

mdmeyers1982

"Dynamis has one major limitation. The system as you are buying it will not read decoders, only program them. With that in mind, it becomes your choice."

Hmmmm I don't like the sound of that.... does this limit my use of other brand loco's turnouts etc? I have been comparing the NCE Power Cab system as well... there are videos for both systems on youtube and both seem pretty easy...

Decisions... decisions...

hawaiiho

Quote from: mdmeyers1982 on January 23, 2012, 03:10:27 PM
"Dynamis has one major limitation. The system as you are buying it will not read decoders, only program them. With that in mind, it becomes your choice."

Hmmmm I don't like the sound of that.... does this limit my use of other brand loco's turnouts etc? I have been comparing the NCE Power Cab system as well... there are videos for both systems on youtube and both seem pretty easy...

Decisions... decisions...

I only have Bachmann turnouts, so I couldn't tell you which turnouts it will operate.  Please don't misunderstand,  by read, I do not mean operate, I mean read the CV values in a decoder and display them.

Doneldon

mdm-

The ability to read decoders is left off of a number of DCC systems because there are many model rails who do not plan to use the feature. Only you can decide if that includes you. I know lots of folks who are very happy with their DCC set-ups even though they don't have the ability to read decoders or don't use the feature even though they have it. All other things being equal, the dynamis is an excellent DCC beginniner's choice. It has adequate power and programming abilities to meet the needs of most home layouts. Its power can be expanded and it can use IR throttles so you don't have to be limited by wires when following trains. On the other hand, it does omit decoder reading and increasing power is more expensive than with most other manufacturers. Of course, you should be able to use any booster with any command station so you don't have to stay strictly with Bachmann for that component. The same isn't true for throttles.

One other thing: Check the Bachmann product listings on this web site to see if one of the train sets which includes the dynamis system will fit your needs. I have found that the sets offer a very favorable price advantage over buying things piecemeal, as long as all or most of the included items are wanted or needed.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           -- D

Rangerover1944

Here's some vids to watch on youtube for the Dynamis, there are 4 or 5. They are in British so you have to listen carefully. I'm planning on upgrading after 6 years with EZ command, and that is very basic compared to Dynamis, but I have had 100's of hours of a lot of carefree fun and very minimal problems. I purchased Digitrax pr3 3 or 4 years ago for reading and writing cv's and sound choices and tweaking for the sound decoders. Have fun and good luck. Jim
link to youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MadyqsU6_fs&feature=related

Jim Banner

A few more thoughts on being able to read back from decoders:

Being able to read back CV values is not necessary for running your trains.  If your record keeping is good, it is not necessary for programming your trains.  It is helpful but not absolutely necessary for trouble shooting your trains.  But it is absolutely essential for trouble shooting other people's trains.  The latter is based on the observation that people who need help trouble shooting often have no record of the programming changes they have made to their decoders and in some cases do not even know that they have made them.

DCC command stations with read back facilities built in are not the only way to read back CV values.  A faster and better way is to use a computer connected to your DCC system to do the job.  The cost of the hardware that connects the computer to the DCC system is often less than the difference in price between a DCC system that can read back and a similar system that cannot.  The required programs are available and in some cases are free.  The down side of this approach is (a) not all DCC systems can be interfaced to a computer and (b) there is a bunch of learning involved, usually at a time when the owner is also busy learning to operate the rest of his DCC system.  These systems are often plug-and-play only in the bad sense - you plug it in and then play around with it until you get it working.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mdmeyers1982

Ok well after a day or two of thinking and researching my needs, and a few very helpful emails I have decided to go with the Dynamis system  8)

It is in the mail... should be here by the weeks end. I'll be back to bug you all with further questions lol

Until then... Cheers!