News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

were can i get a good steam engine motor

Started by jayme, July 20, 2007, 12:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayme

I'm looking for a good steam engine motor for a low price for my scratch build. Thanks

Jake

Micro Mark makes a nice 5-pole skew-wound can motor-cheap!There are also accessories such as mounting kits, flywheels, Universal joints & shafts listed at the bottom of the page.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

richG

Is it steam, diesel, I assume HO scale as your in the HO forum? A "good" motor will probably be at least twenty dollars. Of couse, different people will have different opinions on prices for a "good" motor. Since you are scratch building, consider prices with gears or gearbox, couplings and flywheel. You might have parts in your junk box since you are a scratch builder.
Search the 'Net for HO can motors.

Rich  :)

Jim Banner

I used a Bachmann 5 pole skew wound motor out of a damaged diesel when I repowered an older 4-6-0 and was pleased with the result.  I consider it a "good" motor.  Not quite as good as the 12 pole, all ball bearing motors that I have used in some projects, but not priced over $100 each either.

If I were investing a lot of time in a scratch building project, I would look very carefully at NorthWest Short Line who can supply you not only with excellent motors but also with matching gear boxes.  In my opinion, finding the right gear box is a lot harder than coming up with a good motor, at least if good running is a consideration.  And if it is not, then you might as well skip the motor and gear box completely and just build a static model.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richG

I have used NWSL products for some years and I highly recommend them. I have re motored a HO 4-6-0 with a Sagami 16mm X 20mm can motor, 16mm OD flywheel and 45:1 reduction gears and have a excellent running engine. I did it also with a Sagami open frame skewed armature motor, flywheel with 72:1 gear reduction in a HO 0-4-0.

Rich

jayme

Thanks for the info it helped a lot I'm some what new to the hobby I've been in it for about 2 years and I'm mostly a scratch builder