News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rail Truck wheel issue

Started by naptowneng, January 23, 2012, 05:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naptowneng

I bought a new rail truck 4 months ago, and recently took it out to see how it ran.  Ran it on my layout, runs OK, then put it on Bachman rollers static to help break it in.

That is when I noticed that the right rear wheel was not turning true.  Careful examination seemed to indicate that the drive mechanism rear transmission and axel are OK.  However the right rear drive wheel is not quite perpendicular to the axle.  It has a slight oscillation when it turns which makes the rear of the car wobble somewhat.  I very gently tugged on the wheel,it does not change its position on the axle and since the axle looks very fragile so I did not put any pressure on it. 

Any suggestions concerning this issue?  Might this result in long term risk to something in the drive train or just a little goose like wiggle? :)   Thoughts appreciated

Jerry

Kevin Strong

Shouldn't cause anything beyond a little wiggle in its waddle. I've got a few Bachmann wheelsets that are similarly askew on the axles. The only time it may cause an issue is if the gauge at the widest part of the wheelset exceeds the gauge of the track. But if that's fine, then call it a "feature," and don't worry about it. It's not going to cause any binding on the drive.

Later,

K

naptowneng

Thanks Kevin, I apreciate the advice

Jerry