Kit bash of new Alco 2-6-0 completed. U.S. 208

Started by Patrick Durand, January 31, 2012, 10:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Durand

Sorry guys I do not photobucket so you can use this link to see the complete construction article and finished photos of my most recent kit bash.   http://alaskarails.org/creations/PD-208/index.html

The Alaska Engineering Commission started in 1914 and built the railroad in Alaska that became The Alaska Railroad upon completion in 1923.   Some of the first locomotives used in construction were former Panama locomotives used during construction of the canal.     My U. S. 208 is a kit bash of the Bachmann Alco 2-6-0.   This was a fun project and the first of three to be built representing changes during their service life in Alaska.

Pat Durand

J3a-614

An excellent model, and the other things you've done for what is, for most of us, an obscure and distant rail line, are commendable.

Of particular interest are your models based on British kits of USATC S-160s (GI 2-8-0s).  This was a huge class of engines, with construction numbers in the thousands, and in service literally around the world, including both the US and China.  It seems to me this is one engine that Bachmann could make at a value price compared with the white-metal kits from Great Britain, and that it would be an enormous seller by virtue of running all over Europe, in Russia (5-foot gauge version), in China, in limited numbers in America and Alaska (and at least one example has been operational in North Carolina, and another is being prepared to return to operation in Alaska), on at least one railroad on an island in the Caribbean, and possibly in other places as well.

http://alaskarails.org/ARR-creations.html

http://alaskarails.org/ARR-creations-durand.html

http://alaskarails.org/creations/PD-562/index.html

http://alaskarails.org/creations/PD-551/index.html

Some interesting comments on a "Productive Workbench" here:

http://alaskarails.org/creations/PD-562/guide/index.html

jonathan

Patrick,

Thanks for sharing your handiwork.  I really appreciate those willing to share their efforts.  That was quite a project.  I am amazed by the sharp level of detail.  I have seen these locos at the train shows.  They are small.  You must have spent a great deal of time peering through a strong magnifying glass.  :)

Thanks again.  Great stuff!

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

I'll echo the previous comments - excellent job.  Even if it isn't 100% correct, it has the "look" and "feel" of the prototype, which is just as, if not more important than, comparing the number of rivets. 

Patrick Durand

Thank you for the kind words on the Mogul 208.   The Pat Durand Collection listed under Modeling, Peoples Creations on alaskarails.org is about one third of my collection.   As you can imagine it takes nearly as long to write the process description and photograph the models as it does to build them.

JB4-614  your interest in the s-160 G.I. Consolidations is encouraging.   This I believe was the largest single class of locomotives ever built in North America with 2120 units coming from all three major builders.   The 12 that came to Alaska as the ARR 550 class was the biggest group to stay on the continent.   All the others served during WWII and were adopted into National railway systems on every continent except Australia and Antarctica.   You can find the history and world wide distribution by going to   alaskarails.org and checking out the 557 page and s-160 history.

I would be satisfied with a Bachmann model of the s-160 as it left for war.   Then an aftermarket would develop as they took on the livery of National rail systems around the world.    Right now waiting for announcements at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in February.   If nothing happens there, I could use all the help we can get from the old Government Issue guys to convince Bachmann that this little consolidation would be a seller.    With only 37000 pound tractive effort from the prototype, the model would be only a little bigger than the Alco Mogul.   The USATC tender could be used behind lots of small locomotives, like the O-6-0 which was built for the USATC as well.

If anyone else out there wants to see the s-160 in production,  please let us know by starting a new topic.

Pat Durand

Johnson Bar Jeff

Beautiful work on the engine, and I really appreciate this suggestion:

QuoteIn my experience the most common problem encountered with model steam locomotives today is failure of the multi pin electrical connections between locomotive and tender. These plugs are not designed for repeated connection and disconnection which is required if you put the locomotive away in its original factory packaging. So avoid the hurt and grief. Visit your local sports collectors shop and pick up some 12, 14 and 16 inch long baseball card boxes. Usually a $1.50 but ask for them knocked down (unfolded) for $1.00 each.

I'm gonna remember that!

Doneldon

Pat-

My hat is off to you. Your modeling skills are outstanding and your ability to recreate your prototype is admirable.

-- D

Jerrys HO

Pat

Great job!!

Between jonathan and yourself I may be able to accomplish one myself.

Jerry

rogertra

There was another Alco detailling project, other than Pat's excellent job, that was posted either on this board or another. Unfortunately, I screwed up the bookmark.

The kitbash I recall showed new details added in brass, plastic and yes, even masking tape and it would be ideal for a 1950s detailing project.  Unlike Pat's great job, the kitbash I'm looking retained the piston valves, so it's an easier project.

Anyone have any clue as to where the other kitbash was?  Google turns up a blank.  :-(

uncbob

on30gn15

That was quite a project!

Interesting looking tender, hadn't seen one proportioned quite that long to height before.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Patrick Durand

I appreciate the encouraging words, and hope they will inspire some other folks to step up to kit bashing and detailing to match their favorite prototype equipment.    This is not rocket science and there are no lives at risk so just forge ahead.    I find that I miss very little except some very degrading and misinformed television programing.   On the other hand I do keep the boob tube handy as a time keeper.   Once you have your game plan for a project and write it down, during the 20 minutes per hour that commercials are on you can make progress one little part at a time.  The commercials are just long enough to get things in place for the acc to set or the paint to dry if the big game is worth watching.

The long tenders. I believe are unique to the Panama, Isthmus Canal Railroad and then as hand me ups to the Alaska Railroad.   These 200 class locos were used to move two truck Western Wheel Scraper Cars and the endless flat car loads in the big cut and fill operations during construction on the Canal.   Unobstructed view out of the rear, took precedence over capacity.   

Pat Durand