here is what i have can sound be added??

Started by gandy dancer#1, January 28, 2012, 03:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

Greetings: I have the digital commander - easy command set purchased 2 x- mases ago. it comes with: 1-f t a loco all wheel drive, and 1-gp-40 all wheel drive. 1-28-128 speed step controller ?? a 1 amp power supply, and 56x38 oval track with switch and siding. cant find any other numbers id's ect on box.
My question: Does bachman make a  (diesel)  sound decode rfor these locos?
Is it plug and play, or does the sound have to be prgrammed also?? as dont see any options in the cd or papers for this. or willi have to put totally new boards in?? Thanks for your help.
M.R.BURNS

jward

for sound you will have to put a new sound decoder and speaker in. these locomotives are not designed with sound in mind, so you'd have to completely take them apart and trim away part of the chassis for a speaker.

you would be much further ahead purchasing one of the new fa2s or s4s. the sound installation is already done for you. at the very least, the gp7 has provisions for a speaker in the fuel tank and you can add your own sound decoder and speaker. both would be much easier than fitting an ft or gp40 for sound.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

gandy dancer#1

It would seem to me,as these locos have basic decoders on board, bachman would offer an add on sound board at reasonable price?? Other manufacurers are doing so!! After looking at the doecoders, they are cheap and made over seas 10 bucks worth of components, a complete board with everything on it shouldnt be more than 50.00!!
M.R.BURNS

gandy dancer#1

dont take me as bad mouth, cause others have week spots too,was just saying,I have 2 basic decoder equiped locos good stuff and one would think they went to that trouble why not have add on sound card for them?? I will admit their sound equipped locos are heck of a lot cheaper than some other brands out there which if take the covers off arent built any better ya know.
M.R.BURNS

jward

the big problem in adding sound is finding a place for the speaker. the ft and gp40 chassis fill most of the inside of the body. there is no place for a speaker without cutting away part of the chassis. in order to do that, you'd need to take the entire locomotive apart. you don't want metal filings to get in the gears or motor.

like i mentioned before, the gp7 has a place milled out to accept a speaker in the fuel tank. adding sound to one of them would be easy.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

gd#1-

Your one amp system probably won't run two locomotives with sound at the same time, especially if they also have lights. If you also have cabeese or passenger equipment with lights it's hopeless.
                                                           -- D

Rangerover1944

Quote from: gandy dancer#1 on January 28, 2012, 03:44:38 PM
Greetings: I have the digital commander - easy command set purchased 2 x- mases ago. it comes with: 1-f t a loco all wheel drive, and 1-gp-40 all wheel drive. 1-28-128 speed step controller ?? a 1 amp power supply, and 56x38 oval track with switch and siding. cant find any other numbers id's ect on box.
My question: Does bachman make a  (diesel)  sound decode rfor these locos?
Is it plug and play, or does the sound have to be prgrammed also?? as dont see any options in the cd or papers for this. or willi have to put totally new boards in?? Thanks for your help.

Look here sound decoders for $41.00 speaker included, also the site gives you step by step install instructions with pictures for an easy install.......
http://www.tonystrains.com/products/digitrax_decs_sound.htm