News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Help

Started by hcopter51, February 05, 2012, 04:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcopter51

Can anyone tell me if any Bachmann DCC will run both DC AND DCC locos??? Thanks,John ;D
"KEEP THE WHEELS SPINNING"

the Bach-man

Dear John,
EZ Command will support an analog address, Dynamis will not.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jim Banner

The short answer is: E-Z Command basic - yes.  E-Z Command Dynamis - no.

The longer answer applies when using a DCC system that can run dc trains:  If running dc locomotives on DCC power, do not leave the locomotives stopped on a powered track or they may over heat.  The noise produced by dc locomotives on DCC powered rails comes from the motor armatures being shaken back and forth by the alternating current of the DCC.  This is what can over heat the motors to the point of permanent failure even in stopped locomotives.  If the locomotives are moving, the motors draw air through themselves which reduces the amount of heat produced.

While most dc locomotives will run on DCC power, do not expect them to pull as many cars as on dc.  They are able to pull as many cars on DCC power but the combined heating of pulling cars plus using DCC power to do so can also over heat the motors to the point of permanent failure.  Reducing the number of cars helps prevent this over heating.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hcopter51

;D Thanks for the info Jim......I did not know that but it makes sense......Would you say then that its best not to run both on the same layout??? Basically I have two, one elevated above the other and separated electrically......Thanks again,John  ;)

Ken G Price

I recommend that if you want to run a DC engine then run DC through the tracks.
If you wish to run a DCC equipped  engine then run DCC through the tracks.
Do not try and run both at the same time.
Not good for the motors and not good for your bank account.

The exception, (seems to be one many times), is if you have a dual DCC and DC decoder.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Jim Banner

I see running both on the same layout as a temporary measure until you can convert all your locomotives to DCC.  Your alternative to having two electrically isolated layouts, one for dc and the other for DCC is also an excellent solution.

Jim

hcopter51

;D Thanks Ken and Jim.....I thought that was the message I was getting.....I will just isolate the two......Keeping one DCC and the other DC......Does a loco have to be "DCC Ready" in order to install it ??? I have one diesel but it came with a set and I don't think its DCC ready....Thanks again...

John

Jim Banner

Locomotives that are not DCC ready can still have decoders installed.  It is just a bit more work.  Usually, it involves insolating the motor terminals from the locomotive frame which in many cases is used as one of the connections from the wheels to the motor.  Sometimes it means cutting, grinding or milling away some of the frame to make room for a decoder but that is usually in N-scale or smaller.

Jim