News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Out of the box loco address

Started by Skeets, January 04, 2012, 05:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeets

I am totally new to all this, I have a Prodigy Advance 2 and a test track at this point.

I purchased a DCC RS N scale B&M unit and tried to use "3" as the initial address, then tried the engine # but nothing works: what is the address as it comes out of the box?

Thanks

Ken G Price

Does it run on DC only. If you have a DC transformer you may want to test it.
I will assumes that this an engine with a DCC board installed and not just DCC ready.
If so did you follow the instructions to program the engine number as the address?

I use Didgitrax and on new decoder installs #3 is used to test the DCC decoder before assigning a permanent engine number.

All I can say is if it has the decoder in it reread the instructions to make sure every thing is done in the correct order.
It may be a bad decoder. It does happen. I have had 3 that have been defective out of 12 and had to be replaced.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

n-scale chesapeake & ohio

i would be suspisious about a falty decoder
models the C&O in 1945-55 happily in Canada :D

skipgear

Pull the shell off the loco and look for a bad connection. The decoders on these make contact to the frame via to metal tabs that are below the main board. I have seen a few that either the board wasn't snapped in fully or the tab was bent where it wouldn't make contact with the frame. It is a simple fix to snap the board in or bend the tab so it makes better contact.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

NarrowMinded

If its a new loco the first thing I would do is try resetting the defaults set CV8 to 8 and then try using address 3 again.

NM-Jeff