Spectrum HO GE dash 8-40 CW deisel

Started by moe7, February 04, 2012, 05:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moe7

I just bought a new GE dash 8-40CW deisel which is DCC ready from a retailer  .  It was in a bran new box never opened.
When I tested it on the test track, we find out that there is a short.  Any suggestions where I should be looking for the short or what I should be diong?  Item # 86030

richg

Quote from: moe7 on February 04, 2012, 05:59:06 PM
I just bought a new GE dash 8-40CW diesel which is DCC ready from a retailer  .  It was in a bran new box never opened.
When I tested it on the test track, we find out that there is a short.  Any suggestions where I should be looking for the short or what I should be doing?  Item # 86030

Running with DC or DCC? Some run these with the EZ Command which can run one DCC ready, no decoder loco.

I assume with no loco on the track, no short?

Since it is DCC ready, open it up and remove the DC adapter and see if there is a short.

Rich

moe7

Thanks Rich.  A group of us tested the locomotive without a decoder.  It shorted out with and without the DCC adapter.

Moe7

JerryB

I would recommend you take the locomotive back to the dealer you got it from and have them replace it.

Taking it apart and attempting to repair it is likely to void the Bachmann warranty.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

richg

Quote from: JerryB on February 05, 2012, 11:17:41 AM
I would recommend you take the locomotive back to the dealer you got it from and have them replace it.

Taking it apart and attempting to repair it is likely to void the Bachmann warranty.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

I would have to agree. A short right out of the box tells us there is a problem that you might not be able to fix yourself.
I have run into this in the past but I know how to trouble shoot and I like the challenge. It was never the motor.

Rich