News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ command question

Started by bnsfan, July 22, 2007, 05:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnsfan

Hello im about to purchase a new Bachmann ez command system, and i had a few questions.
1. will it be able to program atlas decoders, digitrax, and other types?
2. will i be able to create locomotive consists?
3. does the bachmann main system have plugins for the walk around companions?

thanks

Hunt

Quote1. will it be able to program atlas decoders, digitrax, and other types?
You can use most other brands of decoders; but, the programming capability is limited to
  •   Assigning only addresses 1 through 9.**
  •   Setting the direction of travel.
No other CVs can be programmed.

Quote2. will i be able to create locomotive consists?
You can only create a basic locomotive consist. You assign the same address to all locomotives in the consist. Advanced and Universal method consisting not supported.

Quote3. does the bachmann main system have plugins for the walk around companions?
Yes.

** Address 10 is used to run an analog (non-decoder equipped) locomotive.
However, when a Bachmann DC Power Pack, item no. 44212, is properly connected to the E-Z Command Control Center address 10 automatically becomes a DCC address. This is covered in the E-Z Command, Setup and Programming Instructions.

More information click http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/newez/index.php?ezpage=4

Jim Banner

1. You will be able to program atlas, digitrax, and other types of decoders to the extent that the E-Z Command system can program decoders - addresses 1 to 10 and normal direction of travel (which end is forward.)

2. You can create basic consists by programming two or more locomotives to the same address, provided the locomotives have identical or near identical running characteristics.

3. Yes.

The Bachmann E-Z Command is a simple system to learn and to operate and as such is a good introduction to DCC even for those who cannot program their VCRs.  But simplicity comes at the expense of flexibility.  If you want to use 4 digit addressing (so that each locomotive's address is the same as its cab number) or set up consists on the fly or set up speed tables to match speeds between dissimilar locomotives or alter the presets of a sound system or change the momentum, start voltage, maximum voltage etc. to enhance operational characteristics, then you will need to own or have access to a more comprehensive system. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

bnsfan

ok thanks alot guys, but one question about the consisting, so your since i have 3 KATO locomotives, and 6 Athearn RTR locomotives, if i program wo katos together on the same address, then they will work as a good consist because they are both the same brand?(note: all 3 of them are KATO KOBO PREMIUMS so that means that they all have the same running characteristics, right?)

thanks again for all the help it is much appreciated

bnsfan

Hunt

Place the locomotives you want to run as a consist about five inches apart on the track. Run using DC power pack.

The locomotive in front may increase the spacing or the locomotive in back may close the spacing. If their running characteristics are reasonably well matched, this should not happen quickly. If they are fairly well matched, when you connect them for the consist place the faster of the two locomotives in the lead of the consist.

bnsfan

will do hunt, thanks again guys u have been a very big help

thanks again

bnsfan