News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0

Started by scheek, February 04, 2012, 11:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scheek

I have a dcc equipped consolidation. When I first run it, it runs smooth and quiet. After about 20 minutes of running forward, I'll put it in reverse and it will suddenly start making a grinding noise but only in reverse. Any ideas what causes this?

TVRRMAN

Quote from: scheek on February 04, 2012, 11:06:30 PM
I have a dcc equipped consolidation. When I first run it, it runs smooth and quiet. After about 20 minutes of running forward, I'll put it in reverse and it will suddenly start making a grinding noise but only in reverse. Any ideas what causes this?

Let me ask this: How new is the unit and how long has it been doing this to you? From the sounds of this, I best remember most grinding from something either rubbing or binding.

Now, I can give you some pointers on narrowing down where its coming from: if you can: whenever starting to hear that grinding, stop the engine momentarily and then put your throttle to let it move as slow as you can get it. I'm going to recommend putting an ear close to it to try and narrow down where on the engine the sound is coming from, and also paying close attention for binding or stuttering in its movement.

It can be something as minor as a gear or detail part being out of alignment or hitting, a cracked tooth on a gear or the drive belt (never had the toothed belt incur damage before though, although there's always a first), or something as serious as a cracked gear affecting it in that particular direction of travel.

These are just little details to look for.

Hope this helps some

Jim Banner

Any bi-directional drive train that includes a worm and pinion speed reduction has to include something to control end play at both ends of the worm gear shaft.  This is because the worm pushes the shaft one way in forward and the other way in reverse.  I suspect that the worm gear shaft in your 2-8-0 is moving too far in reverse, letting the drive belt or cogged pulley rub against something, probably the locomotive frame.  You can confirm this by gently pushing the locomotive in reverse while it is slowly moving itself in reverse.  If this reduces/eliminates the grinding, you can be all but certain the problem is as described above.

Repair is to either move the cogged pulley along the shaft or remove any projections on the frame that the belt or pulley can rub on.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.