News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Controller and track

Started by ShadowMonk, February 01, 2012, 02:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowMonk

Hi all,

Can a standard Hornby controller connect to HO Bachmann EZ Track?

Many thanks

phillyreading

If I am correct you will have a cloud of smoke happen at first try!!
Hornby was British O gauge, if I am correct, and will probally put out AC power instead of DC.
American H.O. uses DC voltage and not AC.
Please check your outputs!!

Lee F.

Jim Banner

I assume you are talking about Hornby DCC or a Hornby dc controller for H0/00 trains.  Yes, you can connect these to E-Z Track to control H0, 00, 0n30 and any other trains that will run on H0 gauge E-Z Track.  There is a cord available that plugs into the E-Z Track and has bare wires for the terminals on your Hornby supply.  Or you can solder wires to the rails or the rail joiners.

Strictly speaking, you could hook just about anything to E-Z Track including your  220 volt mains supply without damaging the track.  You would, however, damage any locomotive or lighted car on the track and risk damaging yourself if you touched the rails.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

poliss

If you have both the Hornby R8250 Standard train set controller and the Bachmann controller, then use the Bachmann one. It's better. If you just have the Hornby controller then you would cut off the connecting plug from the Hornby controller where it goeas to the track and also the connector from the wire that comes from the EZ track. You would then join the wires together. You should use heatshrink tubing of the joints.

phillyreading

If Hornby is a British company like I suspect it is, even if it transforms it down to a useable voltage for H.O, you may have a problem or two with the power control and using DCC or some other command control system.
The USA and Europe use differant types of electrical power. The USA uses 60 hertz or cycles and Europe uses 50 hertz or cycles. Normal running without DCC should not be affected. It is only when you get into electronic control systems that it matters what your cycle frequency is.
To make long story short; use stuff made for the USA and not some other country.

Lee F.

Jim Banner

Quote from: phillyreading on February 07, 2012, 08:13:01 AM
If Hornby is a British company like I suspect it is, even if it transforms it down to a useable voltage for H.O, you may have a problem or two with the power control and using DCC or some other command control system.
The USA and Europe use differant types of electrical power. The USA uses 60 hertz or cycles and Europe uses 50 hertz or cycles. Normal running without DCC should not be affected. It is only when you get into electronic control systems that it matters what your cycle frequency is.
To make long story short; use stuff made for the USA and not some other country.

Lee F.

Perhaps, Lee, you have not read ShadowMonk's profile and are unaware that he lives in Sheffield which is in the United Kingdom of Great Britain.  Yes, his Hornby system is British and whether used in the UK or on this side of the pond, must have the correct voltage to operate.  But being designed for 50 Hz, it would care not a whit if operated on 60 Hz.  In general, it is only when we try to operate our 60 Hz North American electronics on the 50 Hz power used in most of the rest of the world that we have problems.

Bottom line, ShadowMonk, is you can connect your Hornby unit to E-Z Track and run trains to your heart's content.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

phillyreading

Jim B.

I think you are correct and that I didn't read the profile.
Maybe I didn't clarify what I was trying to say, but use stuff made for your country or local area.
Anyway it seems like I have limited knowledge of Hornby Products, as I thought that Hornby was a company that had made antigue O gauge trains.

Lee F.