News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Brand New Spectrum Owner with Question

Started by NewTrainMama, December 17, 2011, 01:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewTrainMama

Hello, everyone!

I just bought a starter Spectrum set for my 7 year old son, to work with me at building a small layout that he can run.  He's a responsible kid and has been begging for a model set for several years already.  It seems like he's ready.  I would prefer to run a larger set due to his age, but simply don't have the space for it.  So, we compromised with N.  (I ran a basic antique American Flyer S gauge set as an older kid and have VERY, VERY basic understandings of model trains, but for practical purposes, let's assume I know nothing.)

Anyway, our local hobby shop had several Bachmann N scale sets.  There was a Spectrum diesel set, a Spectrum steamer set and an "Explorer" diesel set.  The shop employee told me that the Spectrum set was higher quality and a better choice.  My son has a soft spot for steam engines, thanks to our many trips to Strasburg Railroad. 

So, we chose the Spectrum Stationmaster Southern Steam Set, Item 24121, for $119.

Anyway, I can't find ANY info on this set via Google or on Bachmann's own site.  I did find one set for sale on eBay, but that was all.  Additionally, it comes with a VHS(!) info tape (wow, we haven't had a VCR in ten years or more!).  I'm guessing that this might be an older set they've had on their shelves a while, but don't know, of course.

Can anyone lend me some insight into this set and if it was a good choice, or really, anything at all about it?  I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance,
Jaclyn  :)

skipgear

The Spectrum sets haven't been available for a while. I acutally wish that one was still available. The 2-8-0 steam loco that comes in that set is a very good loco. $119 is a very fair price, even though it has been on the shelf a while as that is just a little over the going rate for the loco that comes in the set by itself. You should be fine. It's a much better choice than the diesel sets.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

brokemoto

Second on the SPECTRUM 2-8-0.  Be sure to break in the locomotive well.  Run it in both directions at varying speeds for some time.  The SPECTRUM 2-8-0 is one of the best N scale steam locomotives available, if not the best.  I give it a tie with the Kato USRA heavy 2-8-2. 

Further, be sure that you put together properly, the sectional track that comes with the set.  Be sure that the rail joiners and rails align properly.  If you do not do this, it could cause derailments and electrical  gremlins to appear.  The Bachpersonn E-Z TRAK is pretty good, but you must take care when putting it together.

NewTrainMama

Hello, hello!

Thank you both for the excellent replies, I absolutely appreciate them.  I'm sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner.  Seems any time I have time for the computer, it's to get necessary things done.  *sigh*

Anyway...we are having a WONDERFUL time with the trains.  They are set up on the wood floor of our un-occupied guest house.  Initially, we set up an oval on our dining table, but that didn't work out well.  Despite his honest attempt at responsibility, the engine fell to the tile floor.  It still runs, but has a little bit of jumping and jerking intermittently now.  And, the coupler broke off the rear.  We installed a new one, off the caboose, but it sat too low and on any elevation changes, the tender would lose its cars.  So, it's at Papa Ben's Train Store now to get a new, correctly set up coupler.  He saw its jerkiness on a test run, but said the only way to possibly fix that is a complete overhaul, which would cost more than replacing the engine.  Is that correct, do you know? 

I also bought a pier set to do an elevated figure eight, two switches to run a half oval around the firgure eight, a few consignment cars and ...yesterday I bought a consignment Kato Santa Fe locomotive.  It runs beautifully and is more his style.  I'll take over the steam engine when it comes back and run it with some Pennsylvania passenger cars, Strasburg-style.  :-)

We are getting ready to finish the second story on our house  (Houston = no basements) and when we do, we'll move his set over here and, if he's interested, begin working on a basic, layout the length of a wall and around the corner a  little.  If he's not, we'll just tack down the tracks on a board and let him at it.  He spends a few hours a day running his set, and loves every moment of it.  I'm just not sure if he'll care about layouts right now.  We went to see an N-scale club and he pretty much totally ignored the layout...just asking a thousand questions about the different trains.  ;D

n-scale chesapeake & ohio

great loco and i own the new release myself. spectrum and the bachman line itself are great and are exellent running.
models the C&O in 1945-55 happily in Canada :D

NarrowMinded

When you get the steamer back place it on the track and run it look to see if any of the running gear is bent or contacting each other where it should not, hold your finger in front of the loco and let the wheels slip if needed to see if everything is moving without catching on something.

also look closely for anything that may have gotten wrapped up around the axle or on the power pickups.

NM-Jeff

n-scale chesapeake & ohio

if you press too hard on the running gear it may squeeze in and cause it to bend so it is always best to handle the locos boiler and tender when putting it on and off the rails.
models the C&O in 1945-55 happily in Canada :D