News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Repairs / Kits

Started by ejseider, February 12, 2012, 02:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I'd like to be able to make my own repairs and modifications to my engines, as sending them in takes too long to get them returned, and IMHO, for simple, non-warranty repairs costs too much (the postage alone can be significant).  I'm pretty handy with tools but am concerned that once I start to disassemble an engine I may do some irrepairable damage to an expensive piece of equipment.  I started out years ago building electronics kits which built my expertise in making repairs to such equipment.  Is there any place that I can buy kits to build HO steam engines?

richg

Probably ebay as RTR is what companies sell now. Bowser use to have some nice steam kits but they stopped producing those.
Bowser still sells some parts as does Precision Scale.
Athearn sells some parts for some of their locos as probably a couple other companies. Possibly Walther's.
For both, having a part number would be handy but that is not always possible..
Check the Walther's site for parts also. Walther's has a pretty good search engine which I have used.
Searching the Internet is another possibility which I have used a lot and have found parts.
Specific questions for parts would be a help.
You can join Trains.com site, the Model Rairoader forum as there are many more members there.
I figure you are asking about HO scale. There is also a DCC Electrical forum.

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/

Rich