News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ mate center couplings

Started by famousflame, February 13, 2012, 09:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famousflame

Can these couplings be used for other makes of cars, or just Bachmann?

Doneldon

famflam-

All knuckle couplers will play together to a greater or lesser degree, as they are all based on the same prototype knuckle couplers and they are all derived from Kadee couplers, the original operating scale knuckle couplers. However, they do differ a little bit and therein rests the possibility of problems. Fairly recent tests in Model Railroader magazine indicated that keeping cars with different brands of couplers coupled isn't much of a problem. The worst problems were seen when they tried to couple different brands on a curve; things worked pretty well on straightaways.

It's safe to say that you'll do best if every coupler on your layout is the same brand. It's also fair to recognize that having every coupler be the same brand isn't realistic for many modelers due to cost, time or whatever. I would be surprised if many people on this board would argue with me when I say that Kadees are the best and have the most variations is design, making it easy to custom fit couplers to a given locomotive or car. So ... I'd like to suggest that you use Kadees exclusively. But I do understand that isn't always possible. So I'll suggest that you do your best to stick with one brand and that you convert to that brand when you can or when an existing couplers breaks. Ideally, you'll choose Kadees.

I hope this is helpful.
                                   -- D

Rangerover1944

Converting couplers to Kadee is like eating one potato chip. Once a modeller tries Kadee's on a few cars and notices how well they work, there's no turning back. They are all metal and the most popular size's are #5 and #148. The #148 has whisker phosphorous bronze springs opposed to plastic springs that center the coupler. If you want a better looking, more realistic coupler, for size and looks, the Kadee # 158. Coupler height is most important no matter what coupler you use.

The other thing rarely mentioned is the trip pin, they get caught on the frogs on turnouts and crossings. It is a must to adjust them to compliment correct coupler height. Kadee offers a starter kit with all the tools, coupler height gauge, trip pin height, trip pin pliars, dry lube, spring pick for the nasty little spring in the coupler, and of course a nice selection of the most used couplers. It's all good and makes the hobby a little more enjoyable. Kadee lists it for around $50.00. It can be purchased here for about $37.00:

http://www.yankeedabbler.com/.sc/ms/sch/ee?search=1030+starter&go.x=25&go.y=14