News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turn out wiring help

Started by wilson44512, February 17, 2012, 09:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilson44512

I need to add extra wire to my green 3 wire turnouts.  But i dont know which wire is which in the green 3 wire turn outs. I'm using colored wires to wire to the switch. As in the first pic. As in the second pic. It show the 2 wires are flipped before it goes into the switch.  Can some one please help this noob?  lol Another noobie question. are all bachmann HO track called on30?

Jerrys HO

wilson

To add wire is not a problem. The center wire is your power feed, the other two on either side control the switches direction. If you accidentally reverse the two wires on the outside of the center power feed all you need to do is flip the connector at the switches controller to get the proper direction you want or that is indicated on some of the newer controllers.

Jerry

wilson44512

what about how one of the outer wire jumps to the middle when it goes into the turnout? which one would be power wire?

Desertdweller

I don't understand your On3 question.

These turnouts are designed to be run off the AC terminals of your power pack.  There is a dual solenoid inside your turnout.  Whichever solenoid coil is energized determines which way the throw rod moves.

The center wire is the common side of the circuit.  It always receives power when the turnout control is activated.  The outer two wires run to the solenoid coils.  When the control is activated, current will be sent to one or the other of these outer wires.

If you are splicing in additional lengths of wire to extend the distance between the turnout and controller, the important thing is to identify the center wire.  If the outer wires get transposed, just turn the flat connector at the bottom of the switch controller over to reverse polarity.  The center wire will be unaffected by doing this.

Les

Jerrys HO

If you are talking about this pic..http://i.imgur.com/Yd5Mi.jpg 
That is the outer wire that is looping over the center wire that is ok. Those two wires going off together are the ones Les was describing as going to the solenoid coil. Just remember to keep the center wire in the center. I actually wrapped mine with red electrical tape after separating from the outer wires.

Jerry