News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New HO spectrum bachmann acela wont start

Started by colonelbach, January 18, 2012, 04:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonelbach

I bought a new HO Spectrum Bachmann Acela exp DCC onboard and followed all the instructions.

Connected the EZ track, checked the wiring, connected the power.

When I turn the knob on the Bachmann included controller, the engine headlights and ditch lights all light up, but the loco itself wont move. When I place the other coaches and the tail unit on the track, they light up properly. So I assume the power to the tracks is not an issue.

However which way I turn the knobs the loco wont move. I checked the internal switch for rail/panto operation. Flipped that back and forth, and went through several trials, no luck.

Any help would be great! This is my first at model railroading.

jonathan

Col:

As this is a DCC type set, the first thing to check is the address for the decoder.

I'm assuming you have an EZ Command type controller as part of the set.  Did you press the address "3" button for the train?  This is the default address of all DCC locomotives when new.

Another thing you can try is pushing address "10" just in case.  This is the address set for DC locomotives.  However, being dual mode, the locomotive may respond to this address.

It is also important that you connect track, controller and power all in the right sequence.   However, is sounds like you did that properly.

Hopefully, someone else will have better advice than mine.

Regards,

Jonathan

colonelbach

Thanks for your suggestions, Jonathan.

I do not have a DCC command controller (EZ command controller that you mentioned). I have just the plain DC controller that comes with the set. It has just the direction switch and the speed knob. Do I have to get a DCC controller to get the train to move?

richg

If this set has never been used by anyone, then the loco decoder or motor might be faulty.
Do you hear any kind of hum from the loco?
If it is from someone else, it might have had the DC function disabled. That can be done with a DCC controller.

If no one around you with a DCC system, sounds like you might have to return the loco for a replacement.

Rich

colonelbach

The set is brand new.Yep, I do believe the loco is faulty, I don't hear any hum from the engine but the directional lights seem to work. I will try to return it to Bachmann and hopefully get a replacement.

mlrr

Sounds like it might be a bad board.  What I would also do is before I send it in, I would test it in DC mode (without the decoder).  Use the jumper pins that should be included with it.

If you have the same problem then it will definitely be an indicator that the board is bad.  I had a similar issue with one of my HHPs and it was the board that was faulty.  It worked fine in DC but only the lights worked in DCC.
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

vankata

I think a faulty decoder wont start the heading lights and ditch lights at all. DC operation could be disabled in the decoder, that way it will never move unless you hooked it up to a dcc controller. This function is managed by CV29 stored in the decoder, but in order to edit that value you will need mid to high range dcc command station. E-Z DC wont do, neither E-Z DCC command center.

Default value of CV29 of all Bachmann decoders allow dual mode operation DC/DCC. Just wondering what could be!? Its possible the decoder installed in your locomotive is factory set to "dcc only" by mistake. I would recommend contact the seller. They should have dcc station to perform test run else contact Bachmann.

colonelbach

I sent my loco to Bachmann, and they replaced it. They didnt mention whether the loco was faulty or had wrong factory settings. The whole thing took about 3 weeks. I finally have my new Acela Exp working!

I grabbed someone's brand new Acela HHP-8 656 loco, and tested it on my HO layout, and I noticed it was faster than my replaced Acela Exp loco. At the highest speed setting, the HHP-8 would catch up with the Acela after a bunch of laps (both running solo). Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

jonathan

Col:

Congrats on getting a quick turnaround on your Acela.

The slower speed of the Acela exp is normal.  Mine takes a lot of throttle to run.  I bought the extra cars to make a full length Acela train.  The loco pulls very well.  I think the motor-to-gear ratio is set higher intentionally.

Regards,

Jonathan

mlrr

I actually started a discussion on this on a number of forums.

The second run of road numbers for the HHPs (651, 656, and 663) have a different board from their predecessors.  This is because the new boards are optimized for DCC.  The previous run ran slower as the board wasn't optimized for DCC.  I got around this issue by bypassing board and hard wiring the motor leads from the decoder.  This optimizes the loco's performance.

I did not take the time to notice if there were any differences between the older Acela runs and the latest run beyond the fact that the newer locos use LEDs instead of incandescent bulbs.  What are the locomotive's road numbers?

If the Acela is operating slower, you may want to consider what I did with the older run of HHPs.

Kyle
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com