News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC

Started by Rockylines, February 21, 2012, 03:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockylines

Hello,  I am new to this forum.  I finally have the time to build my HO scale train layout as I am medically retired at age 49.   I currently own a MRC 2000 DCC command controller and have discovered some limitations.  With this layout which is shaped in a "U" with a separate yard section which will be connected to the "U" with a removable section of track or tilt up or down bridge.  I will have three control panels and therefore I would like to be able to control the trains from each of these panels.  It has been recommended that I use the Bachmann EZ Controller for this.  Can someone provide me with a little more intormation please?  Thank you.

richg

You cans see the EZ Command manual in the documents on this  page but you will be limited in controlling sounds.
The Dynamis would be a better selection and the documents are here also for that system. I understand there are some who have issues with the Infra Red.
Look in the Parts and Service page for manuals.
I would strongly suggest you take time to look though all the Bachmann pages here. There is a lot of info.
There are other brands which I think are better but I cannot mention them here.
Kind of depends on how many rivets you want to count.
I use to use the 2000 some years ago.

Rich

Jim Banner

Do you have the walkaround throttles for your Command 2000 or just the base unit?  If you have the walkarounds, you might consider installing a modular telephone jack or two along side each of your panels.  Then you would be able to unplug your throttle(s) and move to the next panel as you train runs from one section of your layout to the next.  At the next panel, you would plug back in and regain control of your train(s.)  I am not reccommending the Command 2000 as your ultimate system but you may want to use it while building your layout.

The E-Z Command has much the same limitations as the Command 2000 in terms of programming.  The basic unit uses one throttle which can be quickly and easily switched from locomotive to locomotive to allow running several trains at once.  An add on throttle unit can be used much like the Command 2000 walk around throttles.

The more comprehensive Dynamis system does much more in the way of programming and uses a wireless walkaround throttle.  The Dynamis walkaround throttle communicates via an infrared beam, much like the remote control for a TV set.  And like the TV remote control, must have a clear line-of-sight to the Dynamis base unit.

As Rich suggested, spend some time reading about the various systems to figure out which is best for you.

Jim (another ex user of Command 2000)
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

patsynted

Not making a choice for you, I found that DCC is really the only way to go but the path varies a lot. So I went to You Tube and pulled up video's on every system there is. After watching these demonstrations of downloading the systems to the locomotives and operating the system I made my choice. May not be yours, but it impressed me and the support from that company has proved to be great.

Anyway, good luck  is okay, but knowledge is better!.Think past today as these are investiments. Ted

richg

Just in case some here have not done this, here is the You Tube link. You can find videos there of things you like and things you don't like. lol
Usually a lot better than hand holding and you can get a better idea of a system than most can try to explain using only words in a message.

http://www.youtube.com/

One link I have that shows some differences but is probably not complete.

http://www.dccwiki.com/DCC_Systems_comparison

Use some names from the link in a You Tube search.

Rich

richg

Quote from: Hunt on February 26, 2012, 05:55:20 PM
Caution -- Not all the information in the dccwiki DCC Systems comparison table is accurate.

But a little more searching can usually clear things up.
Anyone can do it.
I never try to depend on one source for info. It can happen if you are in a hurry.
Also, any links you find, strore them in Favorites for future reference and comparison.

Rich

richg

Many here forget they have the power of the Internet at their finger tips. Use that power.

Rich

richg

Ok, here is a You Tube link. The one I posted does not work. You can use You Tube and search for other companies listed in the Wiki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqW8J6ecoyk

Rich

sparkx

how do i program a gp40 that i got in a diesel digital command set?

richg

Quote from: sparkx on March 01, 2012, 07:05:25 PM
how do i program a gp40 that i got in a diesel digital command set?

I would suggest starting a new thread. Look at the documents for the EZ Command right in the Bachmann site.
With the proper subject line, it would make it easier to track and for others to see the subject line if they have the same question.

Rich