News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Black Boxes

Started by Pacific Northern, February 10, 2012, 11:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

I'm finding it very interesting to read this thread concerning issues related to uncoupling engines from tenders to put them back in their boxes for storage or transport. Why? Because I once was ridiculed on this board for expressing similar concerns--as in, "Why would you want to take it off the layout and put it back in its box?"

That same person also apparently felt that casual hobbyists weren't entitled to Spectrum quality locomotives.

::)

But let be, let be. ...

Pacific Northern

Quote from: MPSOUTHERN on February 13, 2012, 03:18:18 AM
I believe my 4-8-4J came with the tender already attached,and in the foam package.As for the others,I use a small screwdriver and carefully pop the plugs out to store them without modifing the package.This method works good for me.As for the 2-8-0s that came with train sets I purchased,I wrap them in bubble wrap I recieved with UPS boxes sent to me,similar to what Jim does.Again this works for me.

The Spectrum 2-8-2 also came with the engine and tender connected in the box with the foam inserts. It is so easy to cut the foam and move the engine and tender form sections as to allow one to have permanent connections while storing the engines in their original boxes. The only engines that I could not keep in their original boxes were the light and heavy mountains and of course the 2-6-6-2.

I am surprised that Bachmann has not made the decision to have the clamshell forms holding their engines and tenders designed to hold the engine and tender connected in the display boxes as per the display box for the new Alco 2-6-0's.
Pacific Northern

Geared Steam

QuoteGee, does it all boil down to cost?

Ya think?   ;)

Johnson Bar Jeff

Pacific Northern

I wonder which packaging is more green, given todays preference for non-pololuting manufacturing.

The foam vs the plastic clamshell.

I would think the foam would breakdown quicker than the clamshell plastic packaging.

20 years for the foam, vs 50 years for the plastic clamshell

I really wonder given the increasing cost of oil if the plastic is cheaper than the foam?
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Just finished taking the various steam engines off the layout and placing them in storage until it is time to change rosters again.

Surprise, surprise the 2-10-0's actually fit in the new clamshell box connected. As there are various tenders used for this engine do not know if this is true of all of the 2-10-0's or not.

Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: florynow on February 24, 2012, 05:42:29 PM
I take engines back and forth to the club and try not to disconnect the engine from the tender.  Can't do that with the old black box packaging.   I figured out an alternative way to carry my engines but factory packaging that allows engines and tenders to remain coupled is a better way to do it.

Agreed, 100%.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: rogertra on February 24, 2012, 07:40:57 PM
Quote from: florynow on February 24, 2012, 05:42:29 PM
I take engines back and forth to the club and try not to disconnect the engine from the tender.  Can't do that with the old black box packaging.   I figured out an alternative way to carry my engines but factory packaging that allows engines and tenders to remain coupled is a better way to do it.

Agreed, 100%.

Me, too.