News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound

Started by Ronman, February 28, 2012, 09:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronman

I'm new to all this, purchasing 2  engine units a EMD GP40 and FT-A, both are DCC equipped. Can sound be added, if so, can you tell me what product to buy, are they difficult to install.

Doneldon

Ron-

Yes, you can install sound. As to which board, you have two choices: Either a sound only add-on or a new board with sound and motion (replacing the original board). The latter solution is the better one by far as the factory decoder isn't the greatest. I suggest that you visit various DCC decoder manufacturers' websites and check out what they have which best meets your interests and desires. There is A LOT of information for you on the websites.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

Rangerover1944

The hardest part of installing sound is where a speaker will fit with the enclosure, and it's best to install the largest speaker possible. I find the high bass speakers sound the best to my ears. Sometimes you may have to hog out some of the shell or some of the weights.

Here is a link to Tony's Trains with Soundtraxx decoders, just to give you an idea, and if you look on his products page it will show other manufacturer's of sound decoders. I like Digitrax for many reasons, which I won't go into detail. Also on Tony's site, they have guides with pictures of how to install decoders on several different models. Jim

http://www.tonystrains.com/products/soundtraxx_tsunami.htm

Ronman

Thanks so much for the information.