Main Menu

spectrum 0-6-0 t dcc ready

Started by donald frigo, February 28, 2012, 11:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald frigo

how do these loco's run???? using  dc power..thanks

Doneldon

donald-

"DCC Ready" means that the locomotive is ready to run on DC and has some accomodation to ease the installation of a DCC decoder. That generally means that the motor is electrically isolated from the frame and that there is a plug or harness for the decoder. Every model is different so there is no absolute answer to what "DCC Ready" means in every case. That said, the Bachmann 0-6-0T is pretty small so installing DCC might still be a bit of a challenge. However, the model is available with DCC already installed. By the time you buy a DCC Ready loco and a decoder you might be pretty close to the DCC installed price so why not save yourself a possible headache and buy your loco with DCC On Board? Whatever you decide, good luck with your model.
                                                                                                                                                                                  -- D

Tom M.

You would be amazed at what you can do with that little 0-6-0T.  For one of my DCC installation clients, for example, I installed a Seuthe smoke unit, and additional lighting features including a cab light.  I used a Micro Tsunami TSU-750 decoder for sound, motor, and headlight/backup light control and updated the lighting with 0603 surface mount LEDs.  This decoder was mounted on its side and tucked into the coal bunker area.  The Tsunami's stay alive capacitor was mounted on the floor in front of the fireman.  A mini oval speaker was mounted to the cab roof.  I had to remove the bottom off the speaker enclosure and contour the remaining portion of the enclosure to conform to the curvature of the cab roof.  A TCS FL2 decoder was mounted to the cab floor to provide control for the Seuthe smoke unit and cab light.  Since the Seuthe smoke unit draws more amps than the FL2 can provide, I had to install an ESU micro switch in the cab just ahead of the engineer.  That allows an FL2 function output to control the micro switch which feeds track power to the smoke unit.

I will admit, having done it once I wouldn't want to do it again.

Regards,

Tom

CNE Runner

While I don't own the specific locomotive in question, I would agree with Don that buying the "DCC installed" version is the best route. Most (all?) Bachmann DCC locomotives are dual mode - which means they run equally well on DC as well as DCC. I use a Bachmann GE 45 Ton locomotive on the Monks' Island Railway in DC mode and it performs brilliantly (the engine is dual mode). I have also run the same loco on DCC with the same results...in other words, the best of both worlds.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

If anyone gets adventurous, I have a document with photos on how to put sound into one of these locos.
The sound decoders are dual mode.
Micro Tsunami or Micro LokSound.
To date, I have not seen any documentation with photos of how to do a smoke unit for this loco.
The loco does have six wheel pickup.

Rich

Tom M.

Rich,

Sorry, I get too busy and never take photos of my work.  I used a Seuthe #22 smoke unit in the 0-6-0T.  To the loco shell itself, you need to remove the factory smoke stack.  You then drill a hole the same diameter as the Seuthe unit's stack.  The model #22 is for plastic body locos.  As such, it is insulated in a heavy rubber jacketing.  You can either simply let this jacketing serve as the stack or I've found that a spent/fired 22 calibre shell casing will just fit over the Seuthe stack.  Painted black it makes a good stack and the rim at the bottom of the casing makes for a nice stack top.  At the bottom of the boiler shell (right above where it sets on the cylinder cradle), you need to open a hole that's large enough to let the body of the Seuthe unit pass through when you reattach the boiler to the frame.

You have to cut the shell casing to length and then drill out the bottom (which becomes the top of the stack).  WARNING -- You must use a fired shell casing.  There is a primer charge at the bottom of the casing.  Simply removing the bullet and powder does not disarm the primer.  You don't want to start drilling into that.

As far as the frame goes.  You need to drill a pocket into the frame to accommodate the bottom of the Suthe unit.  I did this using my drill press.  You also need to drill a small hole in the bottom of the pocket  on a 45 degree angle towards the back of the frame to allow the Seuthe unit's wiring to pass through.  WARNING -- The Seuthe unit wiring is very fragile.  They use a solid core wire and you can bend it only once or twice before it breaks.  Once that happens, the unit is useless.

Also note that the original attachment point at the front of the loco is through a screw that passes up through the cylinder cradle to weight within the boiler.  Modifying the shell and frame to accept the smoke unit destroys this attachment point.  If you look at the bottom of the boiler shell near the smoke box door you will see what appears to be a small pipe at the bottom.  I removed this pipe by cutting it flush with the boiler bottom.  I then drilled and tapped that location for a 2/56 screw.  Once that is done, you need to drill a corresponding hole below it in the frame.  In essence, the 2/56 screw not only becomes the attachment point, but also takes the place of the former pipe.

This work is not a trivial task.  I have been performing this type of work for clients on a professional basis for several years.  It should only be attempted by a highly skilled modeler.  You can easily end up with a "pile of junk" if you are not careful.

Tom

richg

Hi Tom

Thanks. I put that in the document.

A couple people have asked me for this document. It is from someone in a Yahoo DCC forum but not accessible without a Yahoo account. Some do not want to join Yahoo Groups as the Groups are rampant with Spammers and Hackers. I am very careful with the groups since 1998 but still got hacked once.
I could not find the document in a Web search.
I do not claim to have originated the document or performed the project.

Rich