News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track

Started by Ronman, February 29, 2012, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronman

New to HO, looking for suggestions to what type of track is best to use on my layout. Purchased A  Bachmann set with gray road bed. Have read some comments about derailing especially with Bachmann turnouts. Atlas makes a similar product called true track. Are these two interchangebale? Any thoughts?

Doneldon

Ron-

Don't let the posts about the Bachmann EZTrack turnouts spook you. Most work just fine if installed correctly. The posts here make it look like the turnouts are a major orgoing problem but that's only because this is where people talk about them. No one writes in to say their turnouts are operating exactly as expected.

EZTrack is a good choice for persons new to the hobby and those who must disassemble their railroads between operating sessions. The attached roadbed makes for a far superior temporary layout than does sectional track without attached roadbed, or even flex track. However, ETrack (and its kin from Atlas, Life Like and Peco) can get pretty pricey on larger layouts, and the appearance is only satisfactory. I would guess that the majority of home layouts beyond a simple 4x8 plywood table use flex track on cork roadbed. There are many modelers who hand lay their track but they are a breed apart. I wouldn't be able to do that myself as the progress would be glacial compared to flex track and my perfectionistic tendencies would slow me down a whole lot. Carefully installed and balasted flex track can look very, very good, almost on a par with a good hand laying job.
                                                                                                                -- D

Ronman

D, many thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Jerrys HO

Ron-

I am one  that has a medium size layout 12x14x10.5 in a U shape, all my track is EZ track. I currently have operating 2-#4 and 7-#5 turnout's and 2-#6 crossover's and all functioning just fine. the only derails I have is caused by my rolling stock that I have not yet finished with weight, coupler height,and gauging the wheel's. The one's I have done roll through just fine.
Now it did take a little tweeking to get some of the point's to fit snug but not bad at all.
From what I gather reading most forum's every manufacturer has it's problems.
As far as appearance I think it is just as good as other's after rusting the rail's and adding ballast. But this is a personal preference as other's may disagree.

Jerry

Ronman

Jerry thanks for your input.

ripvanwnkl

My grandson and I have used nothing but gray roadbed EZ track for extensive temporary floor layouts for the last 9 years.  No major problems.  Some minor tweaking of standard, #5, and #6 turnouts sometimes necessary but no real biggies.  We look for track on clearance sales at LHSs, train shows, and swap meets and have scored some good deals. 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

Pacific Northern

I find that when I am having any problems with the EZ turnouts that it is because the turnouts were not absolutely level. I found that the few problems turnouts were ever so slightly skewed, once leveled the turnouts work fine. I was surprised that a turnout would appear to be level and when checked it would be out ever so slightly. Finicky to say the least.

I have only used the #6 turnouts on my layout with the exception of my mine and logging operations where I am using Shays, Climax and Heisler engines,
Pacific Northern