News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Best Pc Softwar for Track Design?

Started by NewConductor, March 17, 2012, 02:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewConductor

What's the best pc/windows (7 64 bit) software for track design?
and then, what's the best Free one??

blwfish

I tried several of the free ones (all that I could find) and found them all pretty unusable.

I've ended up with 3rdPlanit. It is kind of hard to get started, but the tutorial is pretty reasonable and it can certainly do EVERYTHING. There's a pretty active user forum.

You can see a pretty good example of 3rdPlanit in the early issues of Model Railroad Hobbiest (mrh-mag.com I think, look at the back issues. I think the series started with the 2nd or 3rd issue.)

3rdplanit and cadrail are the only ones that I've heard fairly consistently do a good job.

Note: I think both of these are Windows only.  If you have a Mac, you'll need to run parallels or vmware or something to get a Windows in a window.  (I'm successfully running 3rdplanit in a virtualbox on my Macs.)

CNE Runner

NewConductor - The 'best' model railroad planning software depends upon how deep your pockets are...and what you expectation level is. I have been using AnyRail for years and have been satisfied (read: it meets my needs). If you elect to purchase the full version of AnyRail, you get lifetime free upgrades.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Nathan

As has been said, the best one is the one that works for you.

I use Cadrail:

http://sandiasoftware.com/

Nathan

Jerrys HO

I like Ray, use AnyRail also. Have not tried any others so cannot offer advice on them.
AnyRail does have the trial version to play with up to 50 pieces for free. Give it try and see if you like it. ITS FREE till you purchase the full version around $60.00.

Jerry